• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

ANYONE know of a CAT fatally wounding a RABBIT ?

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
Following on from a previous thread of mine. The cat upstairs near attack on my bunnies yesterday.

I love cats and had the most wonderful cat Brunhilda for 17 and a half years, loved her so much and miss her every day. So no put down on cats please.

I want to know the risk. This is a rescue cat and could have been semi-feral, this comes from the owners. He very occasionally turns on his owners and has bitten me too.

I think there was somebody's rabbit who passed away from bacteria from a cat bite/scratch? I could have got mixed up/be wrong about that though but I seem to remember something like that.

We have known of two people who both lost their rabbits, one an ex honeybunny, last year due to small wounds from a cat and the toxins tracked into the rabbits before the owners noticed the wounds
in one case the owners had even taken the bun to the vet to be checked (this was the ex honeybunny) as although they couldn't find a wound and the bun was eating it had become a bit quieter. The vet didn't find the small puncture wound either:cry:

I think it is a big risk

But..

I LOVE cats but I'm not sure to what extent I could ever trust a cat around a bun. Yes they can be lovely creatures but they still have instincts.

Cats and dogs carry alot of toxins in their mouth and faeces. Dog poo can make you go blind :shock:. A penetration wound thorugh a bite or claw would likely become infected.

It's a hard one.

Sorry. Not much help there. :oops:

My childhood rabbit lived completely free range for the last three years of her life, she got to a stage where she didnt want to be caged at all and had a burrow under the shed. (She lived to 13 years).

Anyway a neighbour had loads of cats, all semi-feral and we never had any probs with them except when one came into our garden and went to chase our yorkie who was laid asleep with the rabbit on the grass. Our rabbit got up and chased the cat and really went for it, she was up on two legs and was really going for it. That was the only occurrence in 13 years:oops: She wasnt a vicious rabbit but she was more than capable of holding her own:p

We have known of two people who both lost their rabbits, one an ex honeybunny, last year due to small wounds from a cat and the toxins tracked into the rabbits before the owners noticed the wounds
in one case the owners had even taken the bun to the vet to be checked (this was the ex honeybunny) as although they couldn't find a wound and the bun was eating it had become a bit quieter. The vet didn't find the small puncture wound either:cry:

My big worry. I think would rather them permanantly indoors, than any risk.

Thanks.

So sad for the bunnies.

on that note, i had a rabbit called bubbles as a child.

all of the neighbourhood cats were scared of her. her biggest accomplishment was chasing 3 of them out of the garden at once.
2 who had jumped in from one side and 1 who came from the other side :)

Even if you did have indoor cats with your rabbits, theres not any definite risk. Obviously you should be caereful and supervise when they're together (if you ever allow it, and theres not really any real need to anyways).

Some cats and rabbits can be the best of friends. My Kitty was friends with my rabbits and some of my other cats kinda are but Kitty was the only one I ever trusted to live with them 24/7.

on that note, i had a rabbit called bubbles as a child.

all of the neighbourhood cats were scared of her. her biggest accomplishment was chasing 3 of them out of the garden at once.
2 who had jumped in from one side and 1 who came from the other side :)

Well the weirdest thing was the bunnies showed no fear or re-action. Although Cutie-pie was nervously going around the garden, as it was her first time out ever.

Last edited:
Dogs, cats, rabbits :love:

198893_1958234074164_1192116864_2393121_215538_n.jpg

163490_1792836899338_1192116864_2080395_2962237_n.jpg

tildy was grooming him haa
165431_1792837419351_1192116864_2080396_3158541_n.jpg

73188_1718222794032_1192116864_1941976_5653316_n.jpg

Even if you did have indoor cats with your rabbits, theres not any definite risk. Obviously you should be caereful and supervise when they're together (if you ever allow it, and theres not really any real need to anyways).

Some cats and rabbits can be the best of friends. My Kitty was friends with my rabbits and some of my other cats kinda are but Kitty was the only one I ever trusted to live with them 24/7.

My cat has passed away. Bunnies and chins only.

My cat has brought in small wild rabbits before. No domestic ones thankfully!
He has been around my buns once or twice very closely surervised and usually completely ignores them as I think he knows they are not to be touched! However if he was in a playful mood or unsupervised i would not trust him! I think it depends on the cat, i couldn't trust mine - he even terrorizes our large black Lab.

I think there is always a risk with anything. You can't determine how much of a risk as there's no way of predicting their reaction to each other.

Back