• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How can I bond with my second bunny?

nilly

Young Bun
Hi all,

Pumpkin has been successfully bonded with his new partner jo jo thanks to Windwhistle Warren rabbit rescue. We brought them home today and Pumpkin is as usual he seems to have missed us a lot and as friendly as ever. Jo jo is very timid and scared of course new smells sounds etc. I was just wondering if anybody had any advice on how can we make her feel relaxed and bond with us? Also I use fleece blankets and towels as bedding in the cage never had a problem with Pumpkin but since she came jo jo is very determined to rip them apart, do you think she might stop or I need to change their bedding?

Thank you for all the answers.:?

Hi nilly!!

My Daisy came from Windwhistle Warren too and i know what you mean about already feeling bonded with your first bun. We found it harder getting to know Daisy because she'd hide from us and run to Lucky for comfort.

It was a very gradual thing but this weather is great for it because i can sit with them and read my book and they can take me or leave me. Daisy soon got used to knowing i was the food bringer though. And the moment i realised she accepted me was when i was on all fours sorting the litter tray and she jumped on my back and wee'd on me! :lol:

I think the best advice on letting your new bun get used to you is not to 'force' your presence on her - take it slow and let it be on her terms.

I would personally replace all blankets - i think neutral is the best way. We use old towels or bedding too so it doesnt have to be specific pet bedding. That way i dont mind binning it when they chew holes in it etc - in fact, i'd rather replace with cheap stuff than wash and risk ruining my washing machine.

Good luck in getting to know JoJo !! :)

Hi Grin,

Thanks for the advice. I have put brand new towels as well to make it neuteral I think she is just a very messy bunny:) good luck to me cleanning up after her. :D
I will take it slowly but I just feel like a terrible mother when Pumpkin is all over me kissing and playing together and she just looks at us from the cage:( Hopefully she will understand that Pumpkin and I are friends and she can be friends with me as well. How long did it take for your bun to pee on you/accept you? :D

Hi Grin,

Thanks for the advice. I have put brand new towels as well to make it neuteral I think she is just a very messy bunny:) good luck to me cleanning up after her. :D
I will take it slowly but I just feel like a terrible mother when Pumpkin is all over me kissing and playing together and she just looks at us from the cage:( Hopefully she will understand that Pumpkin and I are friends and she can be friends with me as well. How long did it take for your bun to pee on you/accept you? :D

It seemed to take forever - I'd sit in their home everyday and just wait but I think it was about 2 months and she's still not as comfy with us as Lucky but I think that's her personality too.

Good luck with the cleaning! :lol:

Get down with the hay party :lol:

I found lying on the floor worked, they get to climb all over you and have a good sniff and you don't look like so much of a giant

xxx

Get down with the hay party :lol:

I found lying on the floor worked, they get to climb all over you and have a good sniff and you don't look like so much of a giant

xxx

I am sitting right by their cage, It is very uncomfortable on the floor but they are worth it:D

Back