• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can you use metoclopramide and ranitidine together in stasis????

hannah.mc

Warren Scout
Struggling with Petie today.
Spent two hours at the vets this morning and by the time I'ld gotten him home I was exhausted but he looked brighter. This afternoon he's more distended and thinner and looks utterly fed up with me messing him around.
I got metoclopramide and ranitidine at the vets this morning but wasn't sure if you could use both simultaneously????

I think we may be looking at a pts situation........I can't put my little man through much more

:cry:

Fabulous Janice thank you!!!
I have the standard strength 0f 150mg in 10ml and think the dose is 0.3ml twice a day. I was going to check with the vet who recommended it in the morning but I don't think my little man has poo-ed all afternoon so I thought I may start it tonight :(

Yes, you can use administer both medications at the same time.

Very much yes, & necessary to have both if the bunny's tummy has stopped completely= ileus (no bowel sounds)
metaclopramide only stimulates the upper gut. Zantac is needed to stimulate the caecum & colon.

Has he received Pain Relief ?

Not at the suggestion of the vet.....but I'm dosed him with a heafty dose of meloxicam just. (0.75mg an he's 2.5kg). He's so fed up I injected a chunk of pineapple with it so as not to annoy him further!!!!

Having said that I'm just going to catch him in the garden and give him about 0.5ml of ranitidine...........

Oh and then I may cry again!

We Have Poos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just went out to Petie to dose him with the ranitidine and he has pooed!!!!!!!!!!!!! Peed everywhere again bless him but I wasn't bothered about the pee, I was just delighted to see the poos.........
I still dosed him with the ranitidine and his meloxicam will he helping him too this evening.
I popped him back on the garden and he went over to munch the wet herbs I nipped out to get him earlier.
I have dried my tears now but am still worried sick about him..........
Thanks for advice, support and positive thoughts xxxxxxxxxxx

Oh fantastic news. I'm so pleased for you both.
I think you've joined the tummy bunny mummy section of RU Hannah.mc - we're all totally obsessed with bunny poops. :lol:

Oh fantastic news. I'm so pleased for you both.
I think you've joined the tummy bunny mummy section of RU Hannah.mc - we're all totally obsessed with bunny poops. :lol:

I'm completely obsessed with poos............
They're in bed now and he ate some recovery and probiotic (as a substitue for fibreplex...) and he even did two small poos while he was eating so hopefully he's straining alot less. Poor lad has virtually given himself a prolapse straining :(

Fingers crossed and prayers being said for him :love:

Not looking good............

Sad to say Petie isn't looking good.
He's on metoclopramide and ranitidine with some metacam and I'm syringe feeding recovery (can't get hold of fibreplex anywhere but have some ordered that should arrive today).
He's not eaten for 36hrs hence syringe feeding him. He's passing very dense poos but seems to be more and more distended.
I have no idea how owners have bunnies who have recurrent stasis, this little chap is breaking my heart!!!
May take him back to the vet tonight but think he'll say to put him to sleep....... Have an appointment tomorrow but I guess I just need to take each hour at a time :cry:

Hannah, do you want me to see if I can get you some fibreplex today. Sent you PM to say you are welcome to a pack of my critical care too. Upton are open until 7pm I think tonight if you want to see Tamsin. The only thing is that if he needs to go on fluids overnight you would have to take him to CG.

Sending Petie lots of recovery vibes, he is such a sweetie.:love:

Sorry I've not been able to post on here.
I think Pete needs some fluids given subcutaneously (under the skin).
The big key to getting out of stasis is PAIN RELIEF, & FLUIDS then gut motility drugs.

Personally I would use fiberplex as they begin to poop again.
I actually use a type of tree leaf to get Thumper started eating -Blackthorn/Sloe. If you pm me Pete's address I'll post some to you.http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264764&highlight=tree+leaves

Nearly all the stasis buns at the moment have got a bit dehydrated. I suspect it's the sudden warmer weather.

:wave: Just in case Hannah doesn't get on tonight. Here is a little update...... she thought he was slipping away tonight and then hey presto he decided to clear himself on her patio. Apparently a totally different bunny now and is munching on cabbage.:D

Still sending him lots of vibes.

That's fantastic news.:D Thank you so much for posting.
Good on yer Petie. Well done :love:
I also hope that Hannah can get the 1st good night's sleep for a while, tonight!

This very sudden return to normality is fairly typical of a partial block from dry food in the gut. It's almost like a cork being blown out.:shock:

Thanks Sandra!!!
Yes he's emptied his entire cut contents onto the patio!!!
I've got him in with me at the moment and am expecting a late night. I got a little carried away with the critical care and discovered buns get post ileus malabsorption...........
So I'll be having a late night and giving him 1ml of water every half hour for a couple of hours yet. He's just lept round and nibbled so cabbage so I'll see if that thunders through him!
I have an appointment at the vets tomorrow so I'll keep going with his fluids and if his malabsorption doesn't settle then he'll have to go back in for IVs til things settle.
I wanted to keep him at home if at all possible as I was worried the stress of moving him may be too much.
Thanks for all the support guys, tried to log on earlier but the IT was snaff-oed............

:wave: Just in case Hannah doesn't get on tonight. Here is a little update...... she thought he was slipping away tonight and then hey presto he decided to clear himself on her patio. Apparently a totally different bunny now and is munching on cabbage.:D

Still sending him lots of vibes.

:oops: Yes, this can happen commonly after prolonged ileus too. In rabbits we call it dysbiosis; which is an inbalance of the microorganisms in the gut.
You should find that Petie does firm waste poops & the diarrhoea is the special caecal poops.
Some types of bacteria make toxins which paralyse the gut & others rapidly ferment the gut contents making gas (bloat).

The way to restore the balance is to use fiberplex or the old fashioned way of bramble or raspberry leaves.
Woody fiber in shrub leaves is a great caecal stimulant (flushes out the wrong bacteria) & keeps the gut moving, the lower nutrient content helps to starve out the wrong bacteria.

On the thread I suggested some of us with stasis prone bunnies used the wild plants/leaves as part of their diet to reduce the frequency & severity of stasis episodes.

[My own bunny has a rare & fatal condition in which his own immune system is destroying the nerves to his gut. So it's a never ending battle with dysbiosis for us. We've only just got through 20 days of stasis, when I finally worked out how to get Sloe leaves into his paralysed caecum!]

:oops: Yes, this can happen commonly after prolonged ileus too. In rabbits we call it dysbiosis; which is an inbalance of the microorganisms in the gut.
You should find that Petie does firm waste poops & the diarrhoea is the special caecal poops.
Some types of bacteria make toxins which paralyse the gut & others rapidly ferment the gut contents making gas (bloat).

The way to restore the balance is to use fiberplex or the old fashioned way of bramble or raspberry leaves.
Woody fiber in shrub leaves is a great caecal stimulant (flushes out the wrong bacteria) & keeps the gut moving, the lower nutrient content helps to starve out the wrong bacteria.

On the thread I suggested some of us with stasis prone bunnies used the wild plants/leaves as part of their diet to reduce the frequency & severity of stasis episodes.

[My own bunny has a rare & fatal condition in which his own immune system is destroying the nerves to his gut. So it's a never ending battle with dysbiosis for us. We've only just got through 20 days of stasis, when I finally worked out how to get Sloe leaves into his paralysed caecum!]

This is really interesting. One of my buns suffers with intermittent slopply plops :roll: but is fine with himself. I have tried fibreplex and other pro-biotics but they don't help at all. My suspicion is that although we have episodes, it is more so when his teeth come up to need doing (dental bun). All samples come back clear.

Would these plants help him do you think ans where could I get Sloe leaves?

:oops: Sorry Hannah, hijacked your thread.

I hope that Petie is still doing well this morning and you did manage to get some sleep.

Yes, my bun gets worse as he needs a dental too. I reckon that when the spurs start to hurt he eats less. The reduction in natural fiber slows the gut down, & the wrong bacteria start to multiply in the caecum.

I'm fascinated by this thread because no 2 buns are the same in terms of the initial cause of gut slow down, but all respond to reducing high nutrient foods (pellet & human veg) & increasing low nutrient high fiber foods from the wild. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ht=tree+leaves.

Although wildies probably eat Blackthorn leaves & we've used them for 4 years, & a herbalist vet uses them for buns, I've found no general reference to their use. Thumper showed me that they only work for dysbiosis if gathered during a specific period of about 6 weeks. (Hitherto unknown) they probably work by their high tannin content.
Because it's so new, I'm only recommending blackthorn leaves to get buns in stasis like Petie to start eating again.
We can't buy effective leaves. I guess I've got the worlds largest supply of effective leaves but need them for my own bun.:lol:

Blackberry (bramble) & raspberry leaves are very effective too & the traditional method of treating this condition in the past. They can be bought at several internet sites like Galen's garden. More economically brambles grow in cities in any overgrown hedge. (I could get all my supplies from the city) Cemetaries, cycle paths, country parks, allotment hedges, canal tow paths, & waste ground (but not landfill sites where there may be toxic chemicals in the ground) are good sites. Just gather them away from traffic fumes & above the level dogs can wee to!
Yes, they're thorney, so some folk need gloves & certainly tough scissors or clippers to get them. I have to rub the thorns off each leaf using a thimble for my bun. Most folk just mix them in with the hay.

I find that most bunnies know what they need. If they go crackers for tree/shrub leaves introduce them gradually & free feed like hay. If they don't, then no worries, it's not for them. I also find that most buns stabilise out with daily hawthorn leaves. Hawthorn is also common in cities in non ornamental hedges.

When it comes to wild plants bunnies know what they need. I can now tell more abut Thumper's tummy by what he eats than his litter tray. :shock::lol:
There's also the foragers threads which are both fun & full of tips eg. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=274136
& Chelle's thread last year.
On current threads GrahamL is using bramble leaves to help improve gut motility in Ginger who has kidney failure.

Last edited:
Back