• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice please help!

LauryStevens

Mama Doe
My netherland dwarf looks ill today, one eye is especially watery (around the fur anyway) and she doesn't look comfortable, slower then usual but still comes to the bars. Their run doesn't get hardly and sun light, and the floor is paved so is nice as cold 90% of the area space. I think it may be down to a little too much fruit veg that she's had every day, only as small amount per day but maybe it's built up a bit. I've given her some BBT pellets/meusli/herbs/chopped hay to see if it is her gut. She's eating it happily. What could it be? I'd like to get your oppinion before I take her to the emergancy vets. Thanks!

Eyes could be a variety of things, such as a basic infection, tear duct issue, tooth root issue, spurs, or other things.

Best get checked :) Good luck.

Vet looked at her teeth 2 months ago and they're perfect and she chews plenty of willow barck and hay normnally :/ She wolfing down the pellets and hay/herb mix though, just given a second bowl full between them just to make sure her body is still moving internally. And I've only just gone and dropped their water bottle haven't I :/ It's split so now I'm going to be using bowls again for a few dyas I think.

2 months is plenty of time to get spurs, and equally, tooth roots can also be a problem but not reveal anything on physical exam, so don't rule them out.

I do think a vet check is necessary though.

as sky-o says, it could be many things causing a watery eye but please don't rule out a thorough tooth check from you vet as many buns need molars burring more often than 2 monthly intervals :)

Well just an update, after feeding her 2-3 bowls full of BBT pellets with herbs and chopped hay she's right as reighn now. I think her gut must have had a bit of suffering. shortly after my post I changed the litter tray to look for fresh waste and she pasted lots of tiny almost black clumps of wet poo, shortly after that followed a slightly lighter, larger and drier poo. So I'm pleased so far, her eyes are more open now too and she bouncing around happily. I plan to book a check up regardless when I can as I'm in my over draft right now and get paid very soon. All I can do for her atm is keep her gut moving and watch her very carefully. I also noticed my hay got dustier as it dried these past couple of days. My eyes will be like eagles watching her this week. Wish her luck!

Well just an update, after feeding her 2-3 bowls full of BBT pellets with herbs and chopped hay she's right as reighn now. I think her gut must have had a bit of suffering. shortly after my post I changed the litter tray to look for fresh waste and she pasted lots of tiny almost black clumps of wet poo, shortly after that followed a slightly lighter, larger and drier poo. So I'm pleased so far, her eyes are more open now too and she bouncing around happily. I plan to book a check up regardless when I can as I'm in my over draft right now and get paid very soon. All I can do for her atm is keep her gut moving and watch her very carefully. I also noticed my hay got dustier as it dried these past couple of days. My eyes will be like eagles watching her this week. Wish her luck!

Hope it all goes okay this week!

My rabbit had a watery eye once, he was fine after a day, must have just been the hay I reckon. Though I'd keep an eye on it and if it doesn't improve then I'd say take him to the vets....

Well after I flushed it out with luke warm kettle water it cleared right up. I've also chucked the hay and bought a 30kilo bag of Oxbow Orchard grass. Healthy happy bunnies once more :D

Back