• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

He won't take the Septrin (please don't move this)

Pebblesetc

Mama Doe
Buckley will not take his septrin anymore. He specifically avoids it. We put it on the backs of our hands (where he likes to lick) and he licked AROUND it :( We tried mixing with his pellets which worked for a bit but now he's had his full ration of pellets and still hasn't had the full daily dose.
We tried picking him up but he just escapes :(

I don't understand why he suddenly hates it, before he tried to steal the syringe from my hand :(

If anyone has any suggestions please help. And don't move this, it's in here because hardly anyone looks at the health section :(

xoxo

Im afraid you will have to pick him up and syringe it to him, its very important he gets his full dose each time or else resistance to the antibiotic could occur.

It sounds like it will definatly be a 2 man job, one of you will have to hold him still (wrapped in a towel is a good way to keep them under control if theyre wrigglers) whilst the other administers the Septrin slowly into the side of his mouth.

Good luck :wave:

Have you looked up bunny burrito on Youtube?
That works for me as a last resort.
But I know I can get almost anything into Grim on a bit of bread. Normally rabbits shouldn't have bread but in cases where I'm giving medication and I need to avoid stress it seems to work a treat. :)
You can also put it in dandelion sandwiches or anything you can come up with. In desperate times...

Good luck. :wave:

What quantity of pellets are you putting it on?

Mine have been on 2 ml twice a day, so I give two bowls of pellets and wipe the bowl with dandelion leaves. Im not too fussed and giving extra pellets whilst he is on the course, and hes eating them up.

Hes still eating grass and hay.

What quantity of pellets are you putting it on?

Mine have been on 2 ml twice a day, so I give two bowls of pellets and wipe the bowl with dandelion leaves. Im not too fussed and giving extra pellets whilst he is on the course, and hes eating them up.

Hes still eating grass and hay.

Not many, we're still introducing them. He's 11 weeks old so we haven't been introducing fresh food to him yet (we tried a tiny bit of strawberry and he got a mucky bum from it). He was just on hay before we got him.

If we give him too many pellets he gets excess cecals and then sits in them :\

I find it is easier to give medicine to rabbits if you put them on a table. Inky is a demon if you pick him up but if you put him on a table (like a dining room one) he calms down (probably becuase he feels safer). Also, on a table you can hold onto them a lot easier by covering them with your upper body.

One of mine was on it for about 3 months solid and absoloutly hated it, i had to just fight the fight and syringe it into his mouth but eventually he did take it on either weetabix or a small piece of bread :)

i find if i feed mine the same veg everyday they go off it and won't eat it, maybe he is doing the same with the banana taste

He wriggled free of the towel. It's difficult to know how firm we can be with him.

You need to have a tight grip and make sure you're supporting him well so he feels safe, rabbits aren't made of eggshell and I'm sure you'd know if you were hurting him

You need to have a tight grip and make sure you're supporting him well so he feels safe, rabbits aren't made of eggshell and I'm sure you'd know if you were hurting him

:) They sure look like they're made of egg shell, being all tiny and stuff.
Maybe I was trying to be too gentle. Thank you, your post has actually made me feel much more confident about handling him! x

Back