• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Appreciating Rabbits :(

chul

Staff member
Im sat watching Bunsk and Belle bunny 500 and binky round my living room. Belle is badly matted and I feel like the worst bunny owner in history right now.

Yet watching them both, shes clearly not in pain, I feel so lucky.

No point to this thread, only me feeling useless, lost and not knowing whats best for Belle.

Im sat watching Bunsk and Belle bunny 500 and binky round my living room. Belle is badly matted and I feel like the worst bunny owner in history right now.

Yet watching them both, shes clearly not in pain, I feel so lucky.

No point to this thread, only me feeling useless, lost and not knowing whats best for Belle.

Why not get her gromed? Or find the cause of her matting. e.g. food? self cleaning? or maybe a brush everyday?

Why not get her gromed? Or find the cause of her matting. e.g. food? self cleaning? or maybe a brush everyday?

Webkath is coming round tomorrow to try and help me, if not, she will have to go to the vets.

Im useless.

Shave her.... invest in some clippers and give her a bit of a trim.
That's what I am going to do with Jack I think because he gets pretty matted too.
It's impossible to keep on top of the matts it really is!! You are not a bad bunny mum in the slightest, imagine if she had gone to live with someone who never grooms her and doesn't care, imagine how matted she would be then :(

Shave her.... invest in some clippers and give her a bit of a trim.
That's what I am going to do with Jack I think because he gets pretty matted too.
It's impossible to keep on top of the matts it really is!! You are not a bad bunny mum in the slightest, imagine if she had gone to live with someone who never grooms her and doesn't care, imagine how matted she would be then :(

Do you know any good ones? I don't think if I could do it on my own, she doesnt like to sit still at all!

Pick her up and put her on a table and groom her on there, this gets them nervous about their surroundings and they don't move as much.

Id imagine it's so much easier to groom a cat lol! My cat loves it but just knowing what buns are like they wont sit still for long, not my lot at least! Clippers is a good idea, I'd probably be looking more at the quieter type if anything, no load buzzing. that could be scary to them

chul hun dont feel useless, my jay was in a horrendous mess round his bum and i left it i didnt know where to start, you just take it slowly and do tiny pieces at a time, i used the scissors i wouldnt use clippers for a nervy bun.
:)

Webkath is coming round tomorrow to try and help me, if not, she will have to go to the vets.

Im useless

I always feel useless as well - I'm about the least hands-on bunny owner there is, I really want to be hands-on but I'm frightened of breaking them :oops::oops:

There's no way I could try putting them on a table as I'd need at least 8 hands as Artie jumped off the vet table at 6mths old and I still get cold sweats over it. Even now when they are at the vets and the vet turns away and I am in charge of holding them I get a sweat on and can't grip the bunny... so I'm probably the most useless there is :lol::lol:

You might not have managed to get the matts out yourself but you are organising it for her, that's the important bit.

Can I ask what a bunny 500 is please? I've seen it said before but I'm missing out somewhere :oops:

Bailey doesn't like sitting still - I bought some bunny chocolate drops :)oops: I know I know!) but I groom her now the same time every night and she gets matted still! Especially the fluff above her bum!

I sit her on my lap and just put her back everytime she moves, it's repetitive but eventually she has started to learn, the longer she sits still and deals with it, the sooner she'll get her chocolate drop!

I always feel useless as well - I'm about the least hands-on bunny owner there is, I really want to be hands-on but I'm frightened of breaking them :oops::oops:

There's no way I could try putting them on a table as I'd need at least 8 hands as Artie jumped off the vet table at 6mths old and I still get cold sweats over it. Even now when they are at the vets and the vet turns away and I am in charge of holding them I get a sweat on and can't grip the bunny... so I'm probably the most useless there is :lol::lol:

You might not have managed to get the matts out yourself but you are organising it for her, that's the important bit.

Can I ask what a bunny 500 is please? I've seen it said before but I'm missing out somewhere :oops:

Bunny 500 is them running about madly, like darting about... I think.

Thanks, I can tell shes happy and everything, but looking at her she looks awful :cry:

The wireless clippers that you get from PAH is quieter than most clippers (and it is so much cheaper as well as having the fact that it can be connected to the plug or be wireless)

I have never clipped any of my rabbits but as I have got a long haired cat (I know its not the same) but what I do is;

- let her see the clipper, give her treats.
If she is still calm, then I will turn it on. Treat and give praises.
Don't clip yet, give some sessions with it on and then try a little.
My cat actually loves it now! She purred everytime she get clipped for the summer :love:

It is not much help but good luck (and you are not a bad bunny mummy)

You're not a bad mummy!!:no: Belle's just being tricky.

Jane clips Mr Bean :)love:)- she might also have some good advice.

Belle - be good and let your mummy groom you!!

xx:wave:

It's not your fault! Nahla gets really knotty too and doesn't let me groom her, it takes forever to her out. I'm so useless I can barely trim their nails!:lol:

You are not a bad bunny mum, because you're sorting things out for her. You would be bad if you totally ignored it and didn't try to do anything about it:)

Your not a bad bunny owner :no: You don't see mega fluffy wildie buns so it's not suprising that all these lovely fluffy breeds need some help with their grooming.

I find do it slowly, whilst they are eating. Maybe put her pellets up on a table and then whilst she is nomming have a little trim. Smudge gets matted around his bum so I just cut them out every now and again, he always seems to have a few knots but I just cut out as much as he will tolerate and then leave it a few days. I brush his top coat but it's hard to get underneath and around the bum.

xxxx

Id imagine it's so much easier to groom a cat lol! My cat loves it but just knowing what buns are like they wont sit still for long, not my lot at least! Clippers is a good idea, I'd probably be looking more at the quieter type if anything, no load buzzing. that could be scary to them

Believe me it's not if the cat was never brought up being groomed. I have a persian which I rehomed from someone who did want her anymore and she hates being groomed because she either not brought up with being groomed or she was mistreated. I have to shave her a couple of times a year to cope with it. My other persian used to come running to be groomed. He loved it.

You are not useless :no: You obviously have to very happy buns if they spend all morning binkying round the room!

I can't trim their nail myself I'm too freaked out that I might slip cut their whole foot off or something :oops:

I find something rather satisfying about setting to with the scissors.:roll::roll: Bit by bit it all gets done.

Must remember to not get too carried away.:roll::roll:

Back