• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Much needed vaccine advice

LauraJ

New Kit
Im taking my 8 week old Netherlands Dwarf, George, for his vaccinations this week and have no idea what to expect. Do i decided which ones he has or does the vet? As ive heard bad things about the CYLAP VHD vaccin and i dont think i want him to have that. Will there be side effects to all vaccinations? Is aftercare needed? How much are they? Are they needed on a regular basis or a one off? Sorry for all the questions and thankyou in advance :)

You can phone your vet to see which vaccine they use. You may be able to order Antivac or Lapinject in especially. My vet uses Lapinject in normal practice anyway :)
Vaccine prices vary from vet to vet but I thinking was around £15. You can always ask when you phone to find out which they use.
When I go, the vet usually gives them a check over, listens to their heart etc before giving the injection.
Myxi should be vaccinated against every 6 months and VHD yearly.
I think I've covered everything but it might be worth looking at http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/archive/index.php/t-52031.html to find out more.

Last edited:
There is a new vaccine for vhd called anivac. So far, the opinion of those who's buns have had it is that there are no side effects. I would ask if the vet would use it. It is a yearly vaccine.

Firstly though, I would recommend he has his myxi first because of the time of year and the flies are becoming more active. This one has to be redone every six months.

I hope this helps, any questions just shout!:wave:

Thats great thank you. I have been getting worried about the flies. We're constantly checking his bum, poor thing doesnt even try to get away anymore hes that used to it ha. They can catch some horrific things from flys though cant then. Will be a weight off my mind once its all done. Thanks again. X

Make sure your vet gives 10% into the skin and the rest into the scruff. My vet does the 10% into the base of the ear. Also there should be a two week gap between the Myxo and then VHD one.

Myxi is spread by mosquitoes mainly I think and VHD can come in on your clothes. I think it is the Blue and/or Green bottle flys that cause flystrike. If bun is eating all her cecotropes and her litter tray/cage is kept clean then the likelihood of her getting flystrike are not too great.

Make sure your vet gives 10% into the skin and the rest into the scruff. My vet does the 10% into the base of the ear. Also there should be a two week gap between the Myxo and then VHD one.

Myxi is spread by mosquitoes mainly I think and VHD can come in on your clothes. I think it is the Blue and/or Green bottle flys that cause flystrike. If bun is eating all her cecotropes and her litter tray/cage is kept clean then the likelihood of her getting flystrike are not too great.

The 10% in the scruff or ear is for myxo isn't it?

my vet always says they could be a bit sleepy after being vaccinated - but I've never noticed any difference! Mine have mixi every 6 months and lapinject VHD. I mentioned the new VHD jab to my vet - but she hadn't heard of it, so hopefully she will look into it.

Back