• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bunnies in the garden 1st time LASTED 5 MINTUES. NEIGHBOURS CAT TRIED TO ATTACK.

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
After today I know I will NEVER be able to let the bunnies in the garden again.

There were 4 of us out in the garden, found something to block the gap in the fence and decided to let them out for Sunshines first garden run in this flat and Cutie-pies FIRST TIME EVER IN THE GARDEN.

Sunshine his normal self, as he is used to free ranging in a garden, Cutie-pie was slow and cautious.

Not even 5 minutes and the cat from upstairs come down the stairs. Could not believe it and never seen a cat like this before. He lunged straight across from 10 steps or so right at the bunnies and no doubt about it was going to attack. I screamed. My friends reacted immediately.

Cat was stunned at first but was still willing to attack. We had to keep it at bay and bring them in. Never seen such a preditory reaction to bunnies like this before.

If the bunnies are not usually out and that's the cats stalking ground, it probably thought it was it's lucky day. I wouldn't give up entirely. The cat may have no clue how to deal with a bunny if it actually caught one! x

some cats will attack rabbits particularly smaller breeds. though i would love to let my girls freerange in the garden the number of foxes and cats around the area make me extremely reluctant to do so:(
its one of the reasons mine are house rabbits.
i always put them in a secure run and only when i am physically in the garden with them.

My neighbours cat will grab rabbits round the throat regardless of size, where as my 5 cats never take a bit of notice of them. Its because of next doors cat that all our enclosures/runs are now completely secure and have been for several years. I don't blame the cat its just the way he is so its up to us to work round him :)

You poor thing!!!!!

Not got any advice but wanted to send you love and noserubs to the buns. How were they afterwards?

xx

The first night we had out 3 home, I came downstairs in the morning, to find a cat outside the hutch!:O I was terrified:(
We have them out in the garden and we, like you did, never leave them for a minute. If i were you, i'd try again, and see how it goes :D
good luck;)

Desparately trying not to comment ....................... :lol:.

:lol::lol:

Feel free.

I had a cat for 17 and a half years so Sunshine is used to cats. She was absolutely fine with the bunnies, inside and outside of the house. Actually the bunnies bullied her.

At our last place all the neighbourhood cats were fine. Although we constantly supervised them outside.

This cat was completely different. Was definately an intended attack.

That's a shame. Do you know the cats owners? Would they be amenable to occasionally keeping th cat indoors for, say, 1 hour, at a requested time, so the buns could exercise safely?

That's a shame. Do you know the cats owners? Would they be amenable to occasionally keeping th cat indoors for, say, 1 hour, at a requested time, so the buns could exercise safely?

Lovely neighbours. They probably would shut their cat inside if I asked.

I did mention the incident to them but they said, Reg had never seen rabbits before so was probably curious, and they may not taken me seriously. We have a shared garden. The neighbours and the cat have to walk through our garden to get to their flat upstairs.

Actually there are 4 flats and 2 shared gardens. The only way to the 2 flats upstairs is through the 2 gardens.

Last edited:
Well maybe when you're thinking of taking the rabbits outside, it would be worth popping upstairs first and asking if Reg could stay in for a bit :) Maybe take a small gift, like a tin of sardines. ;)

I wouldn't let it stop you. Simply spray him with water when he tries to pounce on them, he'll soon get the message.

see i don't have to worry about this! all my cats get on wiht the rabbits tho mr tigs will chase! but i got 2 chocolate labs! they would scare any cats away that they don't know!

I was thinking, perhaps I could ask for them to bring Reg down into our place and let him see the bunnies in their indoor hutch and see how he reacts again.

The way he moved yesterday was so quick. It was a split second from him seeing the bunnies and pouncing straight at them.

I do not want to take the risk. Anything can happen in a few seconds.

there often only in it for the chase! my rescue cat Mr tigs loves to chase them but then if the bunny stops and he catches up,, hes just like ohh well what do i do now! and then walks off :roll:

Back