• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worlds rarest Rabbit

Wow, it looks like it's been crossed with a cat! Gorgeous! How long before someone catches one and starts breeding it with domestic rabbits for those stunning markings?

Wow, it looks like it's been crossed with a cat! Gorgeous! How long before someone catches one and starts breeding it with domestic rabbits for those stunning markings?

I doubt it would breed with domestic rabbits because they are different species. It does have lovely markings though!
Very interesting, I hadn't heard of them before.

Beautiful buns! :love: I hope they get to keep their anonymity in general!

The only thing that "got me" from the article was this....
Since there hasn’t been any significant field research on these rabbits, nothing really is known about their method of reproduction. Other rabbits in the same family, however, usually reach sexual maturity at around 8 months of age. After a gestational period of 10 days, they give birth to litters of baby rabbits,

:?

Beautiful buns! :love: I hope they get to keep their anonymity in general!

The only thing that "got me" from the article was this....

:?

Hehe I saw that too but I thought it must just be a mistake. I don't know any mammal witha gestation period of 10 days, let alone a rabbit. Even mice are more like 20 days...

I saw them a while ago, they are stunning. I wish I could get those markings in domestic rabbits. It would be interesting to know whether it can cross with house rabbits and if the hybrids would be fertile or not.

I saw them a while ago, they are stunning. I wish I could get those markings in domestic rabbits. It would be interesting to know whether it can cross with house rabbits and if the hybrids would be fertile or not.

If they are a different species (with different chrommosommal numbers) altoghether I doubt the offspring will be fertile, much like mules.

They are pretty but we have plenty of pretty house buns already so they should stay in the wild.

Back