• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flystrike preventative

smoo

Mama Doe
Do you spray your buns bottoms with a flystrike preventative, now my 2 are living outside and the weather is warmer I don't want anything to happen.

Also, as I can't pick my buns up as they HATE it, how do you do it??

I check their bottoms and litter trays daily, and only spray them if there is signs, even traces of runny poo. It is also dependent on how old/ agile they are as they can usually clean themselves.
There isn't an easy way to do it and I would definitely ask someone to help you one to hold and one to spray as that's the best way to be sure you've covered all areas (the skin behind their back legs etc which you can only reach by holding them at an angle.) I wouldn't spray unnecessarily as it is not a easy or pleasant procedure.

Thanks for that, They are still young, under 1 year, and have no issues with cleaning themselves. All poo's are fine and I change litter trays daily anyway.
Will keep an eye on them.

:wave::wave:

Hey
If your buns live in a hutch and run, you could also put fly netting over the mesh to stop any flies coming in
:wave:

the nurses at my local vet do it FOC as I can't pick mine up either let alone hold them and put the stuff on :lol:

Minimise the risk by cleaning litter trays regularly and clearing any fresh food they may have left, if they are young they should be able to clean themselves:D

Older bunnies are more at risk especially if they are incontinent, they need checking regularly and ensure they don't sit in puddles of urine, especially if they are left in concrete runs for any length of time:cry:

If your buns have clean bottoms, their hutch/run is dry & their litter is changed daily you shouldn't have a problem. It's always best to keep checking their bottoms at this time of year though - if they do get dirty your vet will be able to clip them for you :)

Back