• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rex bunny owners

After a lot of thought we have decided to bond Tilly with a husbun. Tilly has not been the same since her sister left us, nor have we:cry:. But we need to put her happiness and welfare first.

We have seen a handsome chap at Alice's who is a mini rex cross (i think that's right). I have fallen for this little bun, but of course the decision will be made by Tilly.

I have been doing research into rex rabbits as i know they are prone to sore hocks. I realise the best floor they can be on is grass and soil, however this little chap would be a house bunny (going outside daily when Rich finishes the garden).

I have seen lots of people use those foam square tiles for flooring, do your buns nibble at them?.

Is there any advice you could give me, or alternative floor suggestions?.

Bex, Rich and the Buns

My mini rexes are outdoor bunnies and even grass and soil damaged Molly's hocks. Carpet isn't good for rexes either. They are now bedded on thick soft meadow hay and for over 18 months, there hasn't been a single flare up from Molly's hocks.

My gorgeous rex Violet was prone to sore hocks previously but she has no problems in the 2 years I have had her. She lives in a stable with concrete floor and I basically spread hay everywhere and she sits on that. I guess I have been lucky with her. My rex cross got them once on one foot (she is bedded similarly to Violet) but that has not flared up again since so am hoping it was a one off and extra hay in her run will help. I think sometimes it's luck more than anything as if they are prone, they will get them regardless. Even if you sewed a fleece lining everywhere, I am convinced they would find a way to get sore hocks. ;)

Thankyou for the replies. Im so totally taken by this little one:love::love:, if we do end up bonding him with Tilly i want to do the best by him and his feet. x

Oberon has slight sore hocks but we are keeping an eye on things. We got him some foam squares and yes he did nibble them but soon got bored.
This is his 'room' for now, wile he is being bonded with pie. (Sorry Pie's in the pictures! She has to be star attraction!)
DSC_7639.jpg

Close up of the flooring, you can see how they slot together:
DSC_7642.jpg

Oberon has slight sore hocks but we are keeping an eye on things. We got him some foam squares and yes he did nibble them but soon got bored.
This is his 'room' for now, wile he is being bonded with pie. (Sorry Pie's in the pictures! She has to be star attraction!)
DSC_7639.jpg

Close up of the flooring, you can see how they slot together:
DSC_7642.jpg

:wave:pie is beautiful :love::love:.
That is the type of flooring we are thinking about, we have also looked at rubber flooring for their Mansion. Im worried about the front room, but i think faux sheep skin rugs would be ok?. I really have a strong feeling about this little bun, and think our Tilly will bond with him so...

We have messaged Alice and really would love this little chap to become part of our family. x

I have a house rex. She lives in our kitchen and is based on lino with padded fleeces on top which came from someone on here. She did go through a period of sore hocks and for a while she was bedded on lots of fleece, duvet and old sheets, but now her feet have calloused over and she's doing just fine.

Personally I would avoid the foam squares, we don't have them but Oidhche got hold of my roll mat, which is the same stuff, and nibbled away like no-ones business. But she is quite a chewer anyway.

:wave:pie is beautiful :love::love:.
That is the type of flooring we are thinking about, we have also looked at rubber flooring for their Mansion. Im worried about the front room, but i think faux sheep skin rugs would be ok?. I really have a strong feeling about this little bun, and think our Tilly will bond with him so...

We have messaged Alice and really would love this little chap to become part of our family. x

I don't know about faux sheepskin, but real sheepskin can be a bit rough, and sheds, so I'd be wary of them ingesting it. I'll get a pic of Oidhche's fleece rug for you if you like?

I have a Rex and shes never had sore hocks, she's in a hutch and aviary combo with concrete aswell, had her a few years now, never had a problem :)

I have a foster bun who needed abx for a puss filled lump on the inside of her hind foot. I have spread megazorb over the concrete and in the living area should this be ok? I also put her out in a run during the day on grass - is this a mistake or should I provide her a few islands to sit on. They are both chewers and don't really want to use the mats just in case.

Thankyou guys, its promising to know that not 'every' rex bun gets sore hocks:D.
We will ere on the side of caution and make his flooring as soft as possible. i cant wait to see him bonded with Tilly (keeping my fingers crossed). x

If bun is a pure mini rex crossed with another rabbit I'm fairly sure he will have standard fur, unless the other rabbit had recessive rex genes then some of the litter will have rex fur.

sorry I'm no help on the flooring, but thought it might be helpful to know he might not have the typical rex issues as a cross :)

Back