• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cages/ Shed

pds

New Kit
Hi,

We recently got two dutch rabbits and keep them in a big cage inside our secure shed.

They are raised off the ground and the shed is very well ventilated.

As a couple who are new to looking after rabbits I just wanted confirmation that they were ok to be in a cage inside a shed or is a hutch better? There is plenty of bedding and we get them out in the garden every day for a few hours to have a run.

The cage is similar to this but a bit bigger. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Large-Indoor-Rabbit-Guinea-Pig-Hutch-Cage-Run-New-/250805148703?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Small_Animals&hash=item3a6526dc1f

We just want to make sure what we are doing is ok for the rabbits.

Those cages aren't really big enough. They'd be better off free in the shed with an attached run

When you say they're in the cage, do you mean that's their base, or are they shut in? Buns are incredibly active and need the freedom to hop around all day and night. The best idea would be to convert your shed into a bunny palace, and attach an aviary that they can come and go from whenever they like. Here's mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip9IcoHLMJI

Welcome to RU! :wave:

Last edited:
I think you'd be better off with a 6ft hutch as a hideyhole and giving them the run of the shed. A hutch will be a lot more enclosed and warmer for them to snuggle in.

Can anyone suggest a good place to buy a hutch from or point me to any onlline links for a good one. As much as I'd love them to have the run of the shed unfortunateluy this isn't possible due to other things we have to store in there.

As I say we make sure they get as much exercise as possible during every day.

I think uk rabbit hutches and happy hutch sell large ones, you'd need at least a 6ft X 2ft hutch with an attatched 6ft X 4ft run at least but the bigger the better :wave:

I use these type of cages, but just as a temporary base
047.jpg

044.jpg

the run is temporarily divided until I bond the two pairs - they will also have the whole shed once it has been thoroughly cleaned.

I will need to get another smaller shed to store my garden stuff (buns were house buns until my son developed a sudden severe allergy)

Back