• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bar chewing... Why?

steph182

Wise Old Thumper
Charlie bar chews... But I don't know why.

When he does it, the cage is open and he'll be running about, and then he'll jump back in, sit on the cat basket and bar chew :?
Door still open! :?

Does anyone else have a rabbit who does this?

He never really bar chewed :? He's always had space and tonnes of free range time. His pen is 6ftx2ft and he isn't locked in it often so never got into a habbit of bar chewing. The only time he does it in the cage is when it's supper time :?

Apache does this...and Sorrel did sometimes too....when the cage is open.

Not sure why :( Sometimes I think he's just having a blond day, he sees the bars and thinks "these need chewing" without realising the cage is open.

Just doesn't make sense coz he bar chews and looks at me like I've trapped him in... But he's ran in there JUST to bar chew :roll:

Apache does this...and Sorrel did sometimes too....when the cage is open.

Not sure why :( Sometimes I think he's just having a blond day, he sees the bars and thinks "these need chewing" without realising the cage is open.

Charlie's doing it again now :roll:
He is, in all honesty, the thickest rabbit I've ever met. Wonder if his brain can't comprehend how a door could be open when he's not sat next to it :?:roll:

He never really bar chewed :? He's always had space and tonnes of free range time. His pen is 6ftx2ft and he isn't locked in it often so never got into a habbit of bar chewing. The only time he does it in the cage is when it's supper time :?

Attention, he has associated bar chewing with being fed :wave:

Beano does this too, crate door is open to the 8ft X 6ft shed all the time, she'll just randomly hop in and start chewing the bars of the crate in the same spot. I think it may be because she wants her pellets cos she chews the bars above her bowl and mostly does it when the bowls empty before their morning feed.

Mylo also does this but only a certain place in his pen. I think its cos he wants to get behind the chair and that bits blocking it off, and he probably thinks that he can chew his way through to get there.

Back