• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Did anyone read the Telegraph mag yesterday?

beckie20

Mama Doe
There was an article of the Rabbit Fancy, and the "crufts" of rabbitry, with pics of a couple of the different rabbits that had won different things - the comments from the breeders were so idiotic:roll:

Apparently Dutch's wee more than any other breed, and have been known to "go for the kill"; English lops are litter-trainable unlike most breeds, and you can even put Himalayan males together because they are so calm once they reach 3 months age "which you certainly wouldn't try with most breeds".

Where do they get this stuff from?

There's also a comment from the Harlequin winner, who keeps his 80 rabbits at the tyre-fitting centre he owns - "You'd be amazed at how many people come in for a tyre and go home with a rabbit"

That is so stupid, cant believe people would print such trash.......... actually it is the newspapers we are talking about.

This is from the English Angora breeder:

"The coat wilts before they're one, and at that point you clip it off and spin it. I make lovely waterproof insoles with mine" :shock:

Having never owned a long-haired rabbit, nevermind an angora rabbit, I won't claim to have any idea about whether their coats should be clipped or not - but rabbit hair insoles?!

What sort of thought process leads someone to put their leftover rabbit fur in their shoes :shock:

Also, "sometimes they get bored and chew half their fur off". That sounds like a happy rabbit right there :?

Another gem

'I suppose to some degree they’re pets,’ David White, a breeder of vast and meaty Continental Giants, concedes, 'but I got into rabbits to satisfy my competitive urge. If I could afford a Formula One team, I’d be doing that instead.’

:roll:

As what some would desribe as a 'fluffy' in the fancy world, this does sound like quite an odd article to me, written probably by the more old fashioned owners who were around when a rabbit was not much more than a meal or show winner

'I’m not a stick-in-the-mud, but it’s all getting a bit too My Little Pony for me.'
It is I suppose but with rabbit welfare moving foward, the younger newer members are going to feel different about rabit care, I don't think that's a bad thing and I'd rather there be no fancy than one full of people who don't actually give a **** about rabbits

Where are the angora and litter training bits, I can't find them in the online article ?

Where are the angora and litter training bits, I can't find them in the online article ?

The breeded comments were only in the actual magazine, they weren't included in the online article, I think because they were the captions that went the pictures shown in the magazine.

I work for a media monitoring company, so have the hard copy in front of me. The comments I've put in speech marks are bits that I've typed up word for word.

'As the hall empties, a crowd of young fanciers-to-be lingers by the overbearingly cute Dwarf Lionheads. 'Give me a good Dutch buck any day,’ one old hand says, lugging a stolid monochrome example in its cage. 'I’m not a stick-in-the-mud, but it’s all getting a bit too My Little Pony for me.’

:(

Maybe we should write letters to the magazine asking them to do a follow up article on rabbit welfare?

The breeded comments were only in the actual magazine, they weren't included in the online article, I think because they were the captions that went the pictures shown in the magazine.

I work for a media monitoring company, so have the hard copy in front of me. The comments I've put in speech marks are bits that I've typed up word for word.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/family/pets/8454486/Britains-bonniest-bunnies.html

You can read the comments from the people here, (and look at the pictures).
I've read the article, my dad came in and told me he'd bought me a newspaper last night and gave it me. Some of the comments are just stupid, but the buns are pretty.

Back