• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spring fever - neutered male and uneutered female

bunkin

Warren Veteran
I know from reading posts on other forums that rabbits are humping each other all over regardless of sex or neutering!
I rehomed a neutered male and a uneutered female in oct last year so this is first spring. The male was neutered young and is now nearly 6 andthe female is 4 and they have been together since female was young and are very happy -grooming each other and cuddling up together. They have a large cage and spend all day out in a very large paved area (secure) so get lots of exercise.
For the last month it seems the male is mating for about 2 days at a t ime then leaving her alone, occasionally I have seen the female mating with the male.
The male pulls large chunks of fur out of the female only when mating. The female does not seem overly bothered she will hop away sometimes and if he pulls a bit too hard on her fur.
Is this all normal behaviour????
Obviously they have been together a long time and survived but I just do not know anything about having neutered and uneutered together.
My vet says it is too late to have female neutered as it should be done when very young as its a risky op and at 4 yrs old she could die if we tried now.

Could you put them in a carrier and take them for a ride in the car? I think it calms them down or something.
I would have suggested spaying her, but that's not possible.:?
Sorry. I'm not much help.
xx

is your vet rabbit savvy might be worth finding one, ive known many members on here and people having older bunnies speyed and had no problems :wave:

I would recommend getting her spayed tbh, they may have lived fine up to now but it doesn't take long before one gets annoyed and fights break out :(
Also 80% of does go on to contract uterine cancer so it has huge health benefits too :)

I know about the uterine cancer as I had a rabbit die of it in the past at about 9 yrs old but I have spoken to a few vets who all say the operation is very risky and she would have to seperated from the other one which would be traumatic for them both, the vets all said she is having a happy life so why risk her dying from the op.
Certainly if I get any more young rabbits I would have them neutered.
Does anyone know of a good bunny vet in Cumbria or North Lancashire?

The thing is here, shes unneutered.
The risks of uterine cancers and her also having pseudo pregnancys are high.
Shes young....bunnies can live to be 12 yrs old so 4 is no problem.
Provided she has no other health problems, she can undergo an op and be wonderfully ok.:wave:
Have another look round for another vet...just for a second opinion.It wont hurt to just have a chat and ask questions.Ask about success rates, how many bunnies do they have as clients, what would they do in certain situations etc etc.Yopull get loads of advice on here about what to ask if youre unsure.Perhaps someone can point you in the direction of a vet who deals with buns on a regular basis and put your mind at ease.xxx

I know about the uterine cancer as I had a rabbit die of it in the past at about 9 yrs old but I have spoken to a few vets who all say the operation is very risky and she would have to seperated from the other one which would be traumatic for them both, the vets all said she is having a happy life so why risk her dying from the op.
Certainly if I get any more young rabbits I would have them neutered.
Does anyone know of a good bunny vet in Cumbria or North Lancashire?

So long as she is healthy and has no underlying problems 4 isn't too old to be spayed so long as you have a bunny savvy vet. If you have a local rescue in your area you could try asking them who they use to spay the rescues :)

Back