• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit bonding question... sort of

bornthisway

New Kit
Hi guys! Ok so I have a 14 week old bunny named Hector (vaccinated but not neutered yet). Yesterday I got offered a 3 year old spayed doe. I'm extending his cage today anyway but what do you think about me getting him this doe as a friend?
During the day he also gets the run of my room if he wants to as he is allowed to hop out of his cage since he wont wee/poo anywhere but one corner of his cage. I have the room for her and my gosh she's pretty :lol:
They are both quite laid back which is a good thing for me at least.

Opinions?

I would think he should be OK with her if he is neutered first - otherwise he may continually pester her and wear her out through continual humping. I think most vets will neuter male rabbits at 3 months of age, especially if their plums are very visable.

Hi! Please remember males can be fertile up to six weeKs after their op so no introductions to a female who's not been neutered until that time has passed. Someone else on here has babies because their vet forgot to mention that!

My advice do not bond them until he has been neutered and you've waited at least 10 days..I know you say she has been speyed but you do need to check with the vet who did her as no way of you being sure ..if she hasn't been neutered you need to wait until 6 weeks post op
also he will hump her constantly and it will end in a fight

I would not bond them just yet

I would get the male neutered first [when he is 3-4 months old] after the neuter I would wait 1 month before bonding, so he can heal and relax more.

:wave:

I have done this twice- bonded a baby unneutered buck with an already spayed doe (although the first time was an accident). Because the babies were not yet being hormonal and humping the bonds went fine and I didn't seperate them when the babies went in for their neuters they spent the first night side by side in cages indoors then went back together and I didn't have any problems. However, mine had lots of space to get away from each other because they permenantly freerange in my yard and I just leave the door open.

Thats doesn't mean its a good idea though. The first time I did it it was an accident (I left my OH in carge whilst I went to a conference and came back to two bunnies snuggled up together) and the second time was because after trying to bond Lilou with 4 different adult buns and it not working due to fear aggression I tried her with an 11 week old baby and that worked.

I would say just because your rabbit is a baby doesn't mean he will bond with the doe, if they dont bond what will you do? You also need to have the funds available to book him in immediately for a neuter when his balls drop.

Back