• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Farm planned

Sue

Mama Doe
Is there anyone near Newark who would like to object to plans submitted for a large rabbit farm (1,100 rabbits - ) 250 does to produce 10,000 rabbits a year to supply the meat trade "in a complex including outdoor runs ?- ""about as free-range as practically possible"".

Why - presumably to make a profit. Featured in today's Yorkshire Post farming supplement.

I don't want to start a debate but would you complain if it were a cattle farm or chickens? I mean I would feel pretty silly complaining. I love rabbits and I don't eat them but others do and I respect that fact because I'm a meat eater too. It sounds like it's not battery farming. So if it's going to be done, isn't this the best way? :?

It simply seemed right to mention this on a Rabbit Forum, in order to give people the chance to object should they wish; and because I'm vegetarian. I accept your views though, and understand what you mean - fair point. However, yes, I probably would complain for chickens or cattle if it were local and to do so would have some effect.

Last edited:
i can understand the hunting and eating of wildies, after all rabbits are rabbits and they need to be kept under control however just killing them because theyre a "pest" i dont agree with..
but making a purpose built farm where they are bred for this purpose i dont think is right :shock:
even worse they would be unhealthy animals that will be inbred and stressed and just wrong:censored:
ill sign :)

It simply seemed right to mention this on a Rabbit Forum, in order to give people the chance to object should they wish; and because I'm vegetarian. I accept your views though, and understand what you mean - fair point. However, yes, I probably would complain for chickens or cattle if it were local and to do so would have some effect.

Thanks for understanding. I wasn't having a go at you for posting of course, I was more thinking out loud about whether I feel comfortable complaining.

i can understand the hunting and eating of wildies, after all rabbits are rabbits and they need to be kept under control however just killing them because theyre a "pest" i dont agree with..
but making a purpose built farm where they are bred for this purpose i dont think is right :shock:
even worse they would be unhealthy animals that will be inbred and stressed and just wrong:censored:
ill sign :)

That's the thing too. With farm animals if people stop eating them they stop being killed. Wild rabbits are killed anyway so I guess it's better to eat them than farm bred rabbits. I'm so confused now.

I don't want to start a debate but would you complain if it were a cattle farm or chickens? I mean I would feel pretty silly complaining. I love rabbits and I don't eat them but others do and I respect that fact because I'm a meat eater too. It sounds like it's not battery farming. So if it's going to be done, isn't this the best way? :?

^^^ this.
As much as I don't like the idea I can't comment against it because I am a meat eater and I wouldn't complain at any other meat farm. I choose not to eat rabbit but a lot of people do (like my dad) and enjoy it.

If it is a farm which creates rabbits for pet shop trade, then I would sign...

Why - presumably to make a profit. Featured in today's Yorkshire Post farming supplement.

My question of why, was meant why do you want to know if anyone would want to object. It seemed a bit wierd to ask that but not give any info for us on it.

Remember there are only certain things that the planning committee can consider. Access, Parking, effect on local area, effect on local services etc.
Objecting because you like rabbits won't get you anywhere.

If they have loads of room, live a happy long life and get killed humanely then I don't see a problem with it but personally I would never eat rabbits. :(

Last edited:
Back