• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

people with more than 2 buns....

shell1805

Mama Doe
:wave: hey guys,

really just following on from the thread 'know your limits', was just wondering:

for people who have more than 2 buns, and have them more out of choice (ie not unwanted litters, bonding issues so had to get more etc) what made you want more than 2??

just being nosey really :lol:

xx

I had Strawbs and Snow who were bonded but not very close. Snowdrop ws having alot of health problems caused by Strawberrys constant need to chase her 24/7. Bungle was handed in to a rescue but being long haired was in a right state and needed fostering. I took him with the intention of getting him sorted out and then rehoming. In this time Strawbs and Snow had a major fight and would not rebond which gave me 3 single bunnies.

I thought I may be able to bond Snow with Bungle but despite rescue attempts no-one could get even a pair out of my 3 so they are all single.

I originally had B and C. I saw dutchie on here and fell in love and enquired about adopting him. After a few months it looked like 3 was a crowd and Chloe was getting left out so I asked Fatfluffs about another boy and got Albert.

Albert got sore feet after about 6 months and came to live inside. He then had to have a friend so along came Evie.

Fudge was a foster bun who had been in rescue for a year. He had to go back when Albert came in as I had no space. After him being back for a couple of months and no interest in him OH adopted him for me :D

I have 5 pairs of buns in 50ft square + enclosures. Partly I was responding to the need and partly I like the variety of lots of personalities and the challenges ( I rescue ones with something tricky about them!). I also reallly enjoy looking after them even the cleaning - I guess they meet a need in me to have lots of somebodies to care for!

I saw Alfie on here for rehoming and fell in love and as I'd had fosters here knew I could cope with another one easily. Tilly turned up as a foster at the same time as I adopted Alfie and as they are the same size and she needed a new home well...............

No. I wasn't actively looking for another bun and 3 singles definately wasn't what I wanted.

bella and jasper are single at the moment but i am looking to try re bonding soon, once we have moved etc :)

if im honest i wouldnt have had more than 1, it was only because i know it is better for them that i got jasper in the 1st place :)

i've had two for four years, but two more four-year olds should be joining us before the end of the year.

i got mine because i knew the second pair would be coming along as older bunnies, and i wanted to enjoy the baby stage.

if i'd known what i know now there would have been no bunnies... but that doesn't mean i don't want them or would part with them.

^ but would more than 2 have been your choice??? thats more what im getting at :)

No not at all. 4 was the limit and in future I will stick to that, I could have stuck at 5 really but I just couldnt leave fudge in rescue any longer :( I am glad I didnt as he gets on so well with Dutchie and has bad Chloe who is quite a sensitive bun very happy

i've had two for four years, but two more four-year olds should be joining us before the end of the year.

i got mine because i knew the second pair would be coming along as older bunnies, and i wanted to enjoy the baby stage.

if i'd known what i know now there would have been no bunnies... but that doesn't mean i don't want them or would part with them.

why no bunnies???

i wanted a spayed/neutered pair, but when jay and ruby came home to me it became apparant he was a full buck..
then came the litter of 6 in which if intrest is shown in them they will go to new homes if not they will inevitably stay here as i wont see them in a rescue.

then a phonecall about a "male lop" needing rescuing, when it turns out shes a girly..
so nope id have only wanted the 2 but this is how its worked out although i do have 2 different people who have asked me to foster outside of RU i have had to say no as it wouldnt be fair on any of my rabbits as all my buns crave the fuss's.
:)

I had one rabbit and thought that he could do with a friend. I went to the shop with the intention of getting one female but discovered that they were sisters - so ended up with two!

The three loved each other and had a really close bond.

Unfortunately Peter died and the girls really missed him. Chloe stopped eating and Jess started bullying Chloe. I saw a mini lop on this website in Surrey (I am in Gloucestershire) and fell in love. I HAD to have him. I had him castrated to live with the girls to make a trio again.

The bonding took a while and they had to spend one week with Alice at Windwhistle Warren. They love each other now!

Then my fourth rabbit - Sophie! I never intended on having a number 4 but it was love at first sight. My first day volunteering at Alice's I met Sophie - she was dumped by an uncaring person who didn't want her anymore. I loved her from the moment I held her and she obviously liked me too! I put her in a pen (4ft high) and she jumped out when I said bye to her.

Over a period of about 6 weeks I nagged and nagged my husband. Problem was she didn't really like other rabbits - she jumped out of her pen and attacked another which resulted in surgery. Sophie was fine but proved that she wasn't really a fan of other rabbits.

Eventually my husband said I could have her. She is a house rabbit and is the boss! We have one dog and three cats and she puts them all in their place. When we are out she has a big double bedroom to herself and when we are home she is wherever she wants to be. ;)

A friend asked me if I knew anyone who was looking for a lionhead rabbit as they weren't able to give her the time and attention she needed. I'd seen a lionhead previous 'in the flesh' so to speak and just couldn't past up the opportunity. Course it wasn't until I got there they told me about her behavioural problems! I came home with her anyway :love:

I had no bunnies and didnt really want bunnies...(I keep ferrets) and then my neighbour found this poor bun and knew I worked in an animal farm open to the public so I said Id take bun there.They didnt want bun, so I bought a hutch and found RU.Bun was named Mrs Bun.
I then got offered a baby boy bunny from the place I worked at (but had left).(BB)
He was badly hurt and other staff wer going to dispatch of him.So I took him on.He survived......then months later I got offered his sick sister.She was to be dispatched.....(Lily Shane)
Then I thought I cant have a single bunny (as I had bonded the little siblings) so I went to a rescue and got Roland.:roll::roll::roll:
I had discovered Bunny Maths.........:roll::roll::roll: and a heart that could burst....:love::love::love:

I never really though about how many rabbits I wanted, I guess as many as I can make room for! plus I hate to see an unwanted rabbit. 4 was suppost to be my limit because thats what I have outside room for but then I couldn't bare to leave Jeremy once I saw him. I currently have Logan in my room who I will probably either rehome myself or he will go to a rescue when they have space.

I will be looking to bond Jeremy into a threesome with Lilou and Benji, as we've tried for a foursome with Toby and Kira but it doesn't look likely as Kira just starts going for everybody.

I never put a limit on how many buns I will have, because it is fate that they come to me. I started off with Bugsy after being bunnyless for a few years (my previous bun had been nursed through jaw abscess to the end, and I couldn't go through it for again). But someone knew I used to take in rescue buns and said they knew someone with a baby and did I want it. So I took on Bugsy and then promptly married him off to Stressi Steffi ( a rescue bun not used to humans) but unfortunately Steffi died and my autistic son was so upset. (He still has her photo on his wall, and gets upset if I talk about her 2 years on)

anyway, along came Chloe but Bugsy was having none of it - he was still in mourning, but Chloe was determined to be his wife, and eventually he accepted her.

That would have been it, but then I get a text. OH's brother's girlfriend doesn't want her bunny any more did I want it? I said I would think about it, which I did for two days, then I asked for a photo (big mistake) harlequin lionhead cross - I fell in love instantly! My intention was to make a trio but....

a friend said her neighbour had gone on holiday, but had actually gone to live with a man she met on facebook, and left her cat and rabbit behind. Woman was supposedly coming back for pets, but could I foster the rabbit until she did. No probs I said - I always have a spare indoor cage. Well, I didn't really think she would come back, and half knew pebbles would be shortly adopted! And I was right, a few days later I got the call - "She isn't coming back from Scotland, do you want to keep him?" I had already fallen in love with him ( he is just sooo snuggly:love::love::love:) and he fell in love with Poppy and they all lived happily ever after!

But..... what if I get another text or phone call to ask if I could foster another bunny? Could I say no? mmmmm I'd have to think about it for a couple of days!:lol:

I once had one single bunny. My bunny, my best friend.

When he died, I was more heartbroken that, at that point, I have ever been (I now know my heart can break harder). I couldn't let myself have that happen again and grief led me to have more.

Then I started taking on the special bunnies because if they hadn't come to me, they would have died, so, knowing I could offer them the care they needed, I felt I didn't have a choice but to.

We started with Twinkle and Star, and I knew that whether they lived in the house, or whether they lived outside, that we could offer 2 more buns a loving forever home that they desperately needed. We could offer them all that they needed, and made the decision based on the fact that T&S live outside and that we could have two housebunnies in addition.

We looked for bunnies that had been in rescue a long time, or who needed a home that understood if they had slight special needs. We did a lot of research, and also discussed the possibility of their bonding failed (we adopted two singles from two different places).

Its lucky we did, as thats what happened, and thats what led us to adopting another bunny for one of the singles and keeping one housebunny as a single, then later on another bunny for the other single.

The rest, as they say, is history :D And we love them all very very much and are so glad that we have each and every one of them in our lives.

I used to breed french lops and mini lops for show but gave up due to welfare issues relating to showing that was really upsetting me (tiny hutches, lack of water, poor diet, lack of exercise, not allowed in the garden due to staining or bleaching etc :roll:) so neutered all my buns and now keep them as extremely pampered pets. :D

I then rescued some adorable nethies last year from one of the so called top breeders who kept them in really tiny hutches and never let them out apart from showing/mating and fed them on just high protein pellets :censored:

One day I dream of setting up a rescue or sanctuary just need to persuade hubbie

Back