• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Which Hay

dinklepip

Alpha Buck
Bella's gut is off at the moment and I am trying to get it right again. She is on the Fibreplex and wants her pellets (which she can't really have) but has gone off her hay. Looking at an alternative one to try which won't upset the applecart. OMG so many different types but which one???

Grass Hay
Timothy Hay
Meadow Hay
Herbal Hay
Oat Hay
Alfalfa

Flavoured Hay, scented hay :lol::lol::lol:

Hellllllllllllllllllpppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp:lol::lol::lol:

Not good on whether certain hays will help her gut more but meadow hay is normally well accepted by the buns I have. Any herbage type hays with dandelion or chamomile through them go down well too. I'm afraid you might have to be prepared to try a few till you find one she'll eat.:wave:

These were the pellets I was suggesting on your other thread:
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-suppl...rotexin-pro-fibre-for-rabbits-800g-pot-p-1178

You can use them instead of your usual pellets or alongside them as a long term probiotic and fibre enhancer. :):wave:

As for hay, I would strongly recommend this stuff, but it does cost:
http://www.willowwarren.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=trh2 You can get a free sample box :wave:

ETA the Hay Experts also does a sample pack of different popular hays:
https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Hays,+Grasses+%2526+Herbs.4/Select+by+Hay+Type.130/Sample+Pack.23/

My bunny (bunnies) liked (used to like) Western Timothy by Oxbow and Burns Green Oat hay. Readigrass/Pure dried grass is also popular here :wave:

Do you know what's causing her problems?

Has she had grass previously? Grass can be excellent for tummy troubles.

I would say any hay that doesn't have any bits of anything else in, so no herbage, no botanical, unless you know they are safe for her tummy.

she is such a greedy devil the only thing I can think of which set it off is too much fresh grass although I had been weaning both back on it so they can go on the lawn after being in all winter.

Do you know what's causing her problems?

Has she had grass previously? Grass can be excellent for tummy troubles.

I would say any hay that doesn't have any bits of anything else in, so no herbage, no botanical, unless you know they are safe for her tummy.

yeah I was thinking of a hay with no herbage as neither of my two have them

Are you certain her teeth are ok? From your PM and her reluctance to eat hay at the moment it does make me think. Dental issues are the most common cause of both unwillingness to eat hay combined with a messy bottom.

she has them checked other day when they had their VHD, both mine have beautiful teeth. She has been eating some pellets but I am only offering a couple here and there to make sure she WANTS to eat

Are you certain her teeth are ok? From your PM and her reluctance to eat hay at the moment it does make me think. Dental issues are the most common cause of both unwillingness to eat hay combined with a messy bottom.

both my buns have always had beautiful straight teeth and my vet always checks their teeth with a once-over as normal when I take them but I don't remember now her checking Bella's teeth, just her tummy and heart

I think the concern is with the molars which can only be checked with an otoscope and only be 100% checked under a GA, as opposed to the incisors that we can see without any tools.

but wouldn't she eat at all if dental?

It can depend on the problem and how its affecting her. Some bunnies might get miserable and still eat, some might still eat and drool or lose weight, some might get picky with their food, some might come and eat and then it falls out of their mouth, some might stop eating everything, some might only get a messy butt, or a runny eye, or a runny nose. And other things too.

oh blimey, dental issues are new to me, Cookie is 7 now and never had any probs with him and not knowing Bella's history from a baby (as she was dumped at a car boot about 3 years ago), never had to deal with it I suppose

Book a consultation with your vet and maybe see what he suggests about examining her back teeth.

In the mean time, there are so may yummy hays and all buns are different and will like different ones.

My boys will eat anything I put in front of them but they are partial to the excel chamomile herbage timothy hay :) xxx

Again, not necessarily. How a bunny acts is dependent on personality, resilience and problem. I have Wish, whose mouth is a mess. Her teeth are horrendously misaligned, her roots are poking everywhere, her spurs grow everywhere. She binkies every day, rolls everyday, stuffs her face and is so happy. She doesn't show outward signs of an issue in behaviour, I have to watch for her losing weight and her eye running and then know she needs a dental.

If, say, your girlie has a spike poking into her tongue, it may be sore only if she bites her tongue, say, so if she hasn't bitten her tongue, then maybe she feels comfortable.

she was happy last night and rolled onto her side. Wouldn't she be permanently miserable if dental?

Not necessarily. Rabbits hide pain to quite a substantial degree and the action of eating may precipitate acute pain, she may have learnt to manage the chronic pain. At age 7 age related jaw development/deterioration is a prime cause of sudden onset of dental issues in a previously healthy rabbit.

Back