• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long til I can bond them?

scoobylou

Young Bun
I have 2 males rabbits that are littermates & were bonded as babies however they had a fight when they were mature so we have had to split them up. We got them neutered 2 weeks ago & were wondering when can start bonding them because they aren't getting enough time out since we have to do it separately. We can't let them out unsupervised since one since we are in a rented house & they have already started eating all the wallpaper off the walls & two one of the males who was hurt during the fight attacks the other through his cage & bit a piece of the other males ear through the cage once when we left them alone briefly.
We need to do something though because they are rattling at 2-3 morning cus they want to come out & we have a big double cage for them together but since they have fought be have had to separate it so they are in smaller cages.
I really need to have them bonded again so that I can let them out together all the time & they would have alot more time out but I don't know whether its to soon after the neutering.

Last edited:
Wait till at least 6 weeks after neutering, preferably a bit longer as there seems to be a lot of agression there.

In the meantime I would seek a proffessional that you can get to bond for you, as it sounds like it will be a difficult bond, especially as there have been injuries.

In the meantime can you not attach a pen to the front of each cage so they have more room? Or get a run so they can go outside in the day.

Wait till at least 6 weeks after neutering, preferably a bit longer as there seems to be a lot of agression there.

In the meantime I would seek a proffessional that you can get to bond for you, as it sounds like it will be a difficult bond, especially as there have been injuries.

In the meantime can you not attach a pen to the front of each cage so they have more room? Or get a run so they can go outside in the day.

I would agree with the above. It might be easier to get them a friend each and have a group or two pairs depending on costs space etc

I have 2 other rabbits, a male & a female. We planned on having 2 pairs female/male, since we originally had a male so we got these two, it may sound silly getting 2 more males but at the time we were told they were females lol. Our other male is neutered so I have 3 neutered males now but the female is unspayed at the moment. We are having to wait to get her done because we have just spent a lot getting the 2 males neutered recently.
Could I possibly bond the unspayed female with one of the neutered males or should I wait until shes sprayed aswell.

I would wait, unspayed females can be very territorial and so it is a lot more risky and harder to bond them, then whilst it is possible to bond them the bond may then break down as it will be a lot more unstable.

I think a good idea here may be to either bond them in a group if your setups are big enough, or bond one of the fighting boys with either the neutered male or the female when she is spayed, then the remaining two together.

Back