• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you know your limits? - How many buns is too many?

weeble

I currently have 6 buns and this is very much my max. To be honest 4 was the max but 6 is doable and I would never get anymore. I know that I can afford their food and regular vaccs etc and have money put aside for any emergencies.

To me too many would be that you cant offer them enough space, care for them properly or just keep increasing your numbers. What do others think?

2 is my limit, one was perfect (for me, not him) so two is maxed. I can offer them space, food and hay etc, the odd treat, and enough of my time. Any more and they would all be compromised.

I think enough is the above, if you can offer everything they need and if getting more would affect the others, then its time to stop.

5 is my current limit and I won't go over that. If I had another hutch in the garden, I'd have to really restrict the space and that wouldn't be fair on the current trio of residents :lol:

I have been thinking that eventually my numbers will drop. At 56 I'm not going to be able to pay the current level of Vet bills forever so common sense would have to kick in somewhere.

I have 34. Whilst none are ever confined to a hutch/cage they do not have 20ft enclosures either. If I had less Rabbits then they would have bigger accomodation.

That is why I am NOT taking on any more

If C were not my Vet then I would *definitely* have had to rehome most of my Rabbits as my financial situation has changed dramatically over the last year.

I will eventually be able to offer larger accommodation when, sadly :cry:, losses occur.

I can cope with the day-to-day care of 35 Rabbits but *only* because I am virtually housebound. No way could I cope with more than 4 if I were working full time and having any sort of social life.

tbh I no longer feel comfortable stating how many Rabbits I have as I dont want it to be perceived as a 'good' thing. My day to day life, 24/7, is my Rabbits because I cannot do anything else (due to MH issues). I would not want to promote keeping multiple Rabbits to those with a 'normal' life.

As you can probably tell from this rambling post, the issue of 'how many is too many' plays on my mind ALOT. I constantly feel inadequate when I see pics on here of HUGE set-ups.

I do my best, but if I had less Rabbits I KNOW I could do MUCH better accommodation wise.

Again, without my wonderful Vet I would be well up :censored: creek without a paddle.

Last edited:
2 is my limit, one was perfect (for me, not him) so two is maxed. I can offer them space, food and hay etc, the odd treat, and enough of my time. Any more and they would all be compromised.

I think enough is the above, if you can offer everything they need and if getting more would affect the others, then its time to stop.

I'm the same - Mr and Mrs Bunningham would not be able to be spoilt as they are if I had any more. I'd love to rescue two more though, but wouldn't be fair to my other animals. :(

The most we have had is 43 which was pushing it. During the harsh winter it was such a struggle to keep them warm and exercised and bowls defrosted, that I never want to go through that again. I am sure the buns were fine and happy but I wasn't!

We now have 30 and i would like to get the numbers a bit lower than that, more for my benefit than the bunnies. I am here 24/7 and never leave the buns for more than an hour at most. All the rabbits either have large shed/ playhouses with runs attached or get to exercise in large garden runs or free range in the house everyday for at least 6 to 8 hours :)

I think when I was working the most I had was around 6 :? Which was enough :)

I have 16 of my own and 3 fosters.

I always said I wouldn't go over 15, but I did-due to some unfair emotional blackmail, but I wouldn't have changed her for the world.

With 19 now, its too many. I'm 'stuck' with three fosters I can't cope with, and that we can't rehome.

at 16 (or 17) it was ok. They don't have as much as they should, or the ideal life I want for them but we're constantl improving, and they are happy, healthy and get their needs met.

In an ideal world though, I would like a group (be it pair, trio, quad, etc) in the enclosure outside, and a group (single, pair, trio, quad) inside. And no more. that's what I am 'aiming' to 'get down to'. although, obviously, I would like all 16 of my bunnies for as long as possible.

One suspects, because of the ages of the majority of mine, that there is a strong likelihood I will loose the majority in a short space of time (due to 11 of them being born within 18 months of each other). The others are all problematical too so may have shortened lifespans.

I have eight buns now - since Peggy sadly went to the Bridge. I also have nine cats.

My circumstances changed last year as I 'burnt out' after working three jobs so have had to reduce the hours I work. I also work in the care industry which is affected by the government's cuts so my job security is uncertain. This, combined with having a fixed rate mortgage which means I am paying two thirds more than I would be if on a variable rate, has left me struggling to pay my vet bills.

With the last one of almost £600 I had to take out a personal loan. I intend to move to a smaller house to reduce my mortgage and increase the size of my garden. Only when my finances are more stable would I consider taking on any more buns, unless I foster.

Like you, Jane, mine have 'good' accommodation but some of the wonderful set-ups on here are much more spacious. I do work but am fortunate that my hours are flexible so I can take time off if I have sick bun. I also pop home every couple of hours in the summer to check on bunny bottoms:)

I do my very best for my fur family, but I know things could be better for them - and that makes me sad:(

i have 2. had they stayed bonded, that would've been ideal but it wasn't to be.

sometimes i think about having 2 more so that they each have a partner but sadly, my financial situation will not allow this.

fortunately, i have 2 very happy single buns who are never confined and both receive lots of my time.

I have my own three plus one pair of foster buns. I have two hutches to look after and that is perfect. At one point I had three hutches outside and two indoor cages full and it was just too much. I have a chronic pain condition and three children. Everything got on top of me and I found it really hard to cope. When two foster buns were rehomed I didnt replace them and Starfish is now bonded so I am down to the two outdoor hutches.

It is easy to say just one more, especially fosters where you have no vet bills. I have broken down my small foster hutch to give to the rescue so another fosterer can have it and it can still help buns who need rescued.

I am happy with my trio. Any more and I wouldn't be happy that they couldn't free range in the garden all day and I would have to restrict someone to a run. The fosters are in a run in the front garden but that's ok because it's temporary for them.

I have 2:D and they have a full garden to themselves and enclosure with hutch for nightime. I can manage them easily but then again if i had more i would have more vet bills to pay.

I also work so taking care of more would end up being too much i think.

I have two pairs, which I think is my limit. I have the time and space for more though, which is why I started fostering buns.

If I had any more permanent residents, they wouldn't get as much free range time each. I think that's my main reason for sticking with two pairs.

I do have a couple of spare hutches though, just for emergencies...

4 is my maximum as I want them to have as much space as possible.
Plus finances would be stretched too far if I had more than that.
I currently only have 3 now, I don't plan to get anymore.

I definitely think setting your limit below your max is important as circumstances can change, a couple of years ago I had 20 piggies,3 buns, 4 chickens, 3 dogs and a cat aswell as 3 children and i managed just fine, looking after them was my full time job and I was very happy doing so.

But i now have some health problems and if I still had that many I wouldn't physically be able to do it. I have lost alot of animals since then, I now have 9 piggies, 2 buns 4 dogs and 1 cat which I find manageable : )

I have 3 singles. Techincally I could go up to 6 if they all became pairs as the accomodation size wouldnt change, feeding and cleaning would be the same time etc.

However with what happened with Strawbs and Snow I do not want to force a bond on any of my buns as I cannot keep anymore singles. I know some disagree with keeping single buns and think I am unfair, however the 10ft living space and love and attention they get would be much better than putting them in a rescue in the hope one day they get to be bonded and rehomed.

Before anyone asks, yes I have tried bonding them. On numerous occasions, and rescues have also tried.

I had 6 at one point and due to the hours I was working at the time I found it hard work. I now have 2 and prefer having fewer bunnies so will probably stick to this number in future.

I have two, and with all the other animals I have, two buns is enough. I would consider taking on a third, but would prefer to get bigger accommodation to do so which isn't on the cards at the moment, so I will be sticking with my two.

I'm extraordinarily lucky that of my 17 animals, I only have one "ill" pet, and that is a rat with chronic respiratory issues which we now have fairly under control.

I did look into getting a third bun, but it was decided that he needed a sanctuary space as his dental problems were so bad, and it made me realise that if more than a couple of my lot became ill at the same time, I'd be exhausted looking after them all :shock:

One pair/trio/group.
I'd love loads of bunnys, but my buns are used to me spending hours on end with them and while they have each other, I couldn't bare to spend less time with them

I have a pair and that is perfect for me. Finacially, physically and emotionally. If I had more buns and one got sick it would be harder for me to care for them. It's easier when they are all healthy and well. My pair are perfect!

Back