• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cylap Vaccine

FarplaceRescue

Alpha Buck
My vet uses Cylap vaccine for VHD. I have had over 500 rabbits vaccinated against VHd over the last few years, using Cylap. I have had one fatality, 28 hours after the Cylap vacc. It is not 100% certain that it was the cylap that killed my bunny, but it was scary.
All the other rabbits have had no noticable side affects. That's over 499 rabbits.
My vet is a very good rabbit-savy vet, and swears by cylap.
I'm concerned after reading posts on this forum, that we are not doing the best for our buns.....
I would be very interested in peoples real-life stories to pass on to my vet.
many thanks
jan

I had my two vaccinated Thursday and the rex developed a limp in her left leg that we on the forum have put down to "VHD limp" but they have both been eating fine and running about

Have you mentioned Anivac to the vets? Although it's pretty new it's safer for the vets to use if they accidentall inject themselves.

As long as people are choosing to vaccinate, then its up to them to ask what vaccination their rabbits have.

I had three have some nasty side effects to Cylap (one localised reaction, one large 'localised' reaction and one where he lsot a lot of fur over both his sides), but, after discussing with my vet, we altered the Cylap amount given and they still have Cylap. But, my vets practice said they are switching to Anivac by the time my next ones are due so they will be having that, which sits better with me.

Spenser had a local reaction after his cylap last year, and was generally a bit off for a couple of days. I'll mention this to his vet when he goes for his myxi booster next week, and go by her advice about the VHD booster that will be due a couple of weeks later.

Beano had the Cylap vaccine and she was fine, just like she'd usually be but now I know of the risks I will be speaking to my vet about preferably using another vaccine for when she goes next month.

One of my bunnies (Nora) had an awful reaction (it looked like a chemical burn) to cylap. She was vaccinated in January and her wound has just healed. :shock:
My vet told me yesterday that they have decided to stop using cylap and use Avivac instead. :wave:

Both my buns were given their first cylap by the sanctuary when they were old enough, I got them 5 weeks ago and they are now due their one year booster. If they were fine when they got done as babies, surely they'll be ok with the booster too? I'd imagine they would be!

I've not stumbled on the cylap-is-bad threads yet, I'm a bit scared to look now!

Id never use Cylap again after Dolly had her reaction. I guess it comes down to the owner and the individual rabbit. Marley was fine with it, no problems at all, a little quiet for the day, but thats not uncommon after a trip to the vets.

Dolly on the other hand had a local reaction 48hours after. The area went bald, it was raised and looked bruised as it was purple and red but the skin wasnt broken. Then 24 hours after that, she developed a bald patch on her shoulder which eventually extended to her chest and the skin appeared to be necrotic. Its all healed and everything and there has been no lasting damage but the hairs are grey around her chest.

I now use lapinject for both my buns.

The injection site 48hours after the Cylap was given:
possiblecylapreaction-Dolly.jpg

I dont have pictures of the area on her shoulder/chest im afraid, but here are some links you might be interested in?

Cylap Report:
http://www.englishrabbit.org.uk/cylapreport.pdf

Sorry, i cant find the other links, but have you read the data sheet for Cylap? It says that reactions occur in 50% of cases. :shock:

Id never use Cylap again after Dolly had her reaction. I guess it comes down to the owner and the individual rabbit. Marley was fine with it, no problems at all, a little quiet for the day, but thats not uncommon after a trip to the vets.

Dolly on the other hand had a local reaction 48hours after. The area went bald, it was raised and looked bruised as it was purple and red but the skin wasnt broken. Then 24 hours after that, she developed a bald patch on her shoulder which eventually extended to her chest and the skin appeared to be necrotic. Its all healed and everything and there has been no lasting damage but the hairs are grey around her chest.

I now use lapinject for both my buns.

The injection site 48hours after the Cylap was given:
possiblecylapreaction-Dolly.jpg

I dont have pictures of the area on her shoulder/chest im afraid, but here are some links you might be interested in?

Cylap Report:
http://www.englishrabbit.org.uk/cylapreport.pdf

Sorry, i cant find the other links, but have you read the data sheet for Cylap? It says that reactions occur in 50% of cases. :shock:

Eeek, poor Dolly :shock:
Charlie always had cylap but I think I'll be asking for them to change it now!

Eeek, poor Dolly :shock:
Charlie always had cylap but I think I'll be asking for them to change it now!

If Dolly hadnt reacted to it, id probably still be using it. If Charlie is fine with it then i wouldnt worry too much, hes had it often enough by now hasnt he. Saying that though, i know humans can develop allergies to things after being fine all of their lives. I wonder if the same can happen with Cylap? :?

...It wasnt a nice experience though, especially as a relatively new bunny owner!

If Dolly hadnt reacted to it, id probably still be using it. If Charlie is fine with it then i wouldnt worry too much, hes had it often enough by now hasnt he. Saying that though, i know humans can develop allergies to things after being fine all of their lives. I wonder if the same can happen with Cylap? :?

...It wasnt a nice experience though, especially as a relatively new bunny owner!

I'm sure Charlie would be fine with it but don't fancy a 50/50 chance with two bunnys!
I was thinking of trying to get the vets to change anyway but seeing that on Dolly :( I defiantly will have to

I'm sure Charlie would be fine with it but don't fancy a 50/50 chance with two bunnys!I was thinking of trying to get the vets to change anyway but seeing that on Dolly :( I defiantly will have to

Its surprising how many do have some sort of reaction. And Dolly was one of the unlicky 50% but look how many buns the OP has had done with Cylap without a problem! :wave:

Im definitley biased though because of my experience, as i said, if it hadnt have happened i would still be using Cylap now. x

Used Cylap for two years and the only reaction my rabbits had was that they were a bit quiet the day after, but I advised my vet to change to Lapinject which is what they did and this year, they didn't have any sort of reaction.

Mine have always been done with cylap, no real bad reactions.. just quiet. *touch wood* they are off for their boosters in a couple weeks and I'm assuming it will be cylap then.

experiencing the VHD Limp

Another unlucky Dolly it seems, but I adopted Dolly a few weeks ago and have had her vaccinated myx a few weeks ago and then VHD on Wednesday. My other bun bubs has had Cylap before and was fine, perhaps a little withdrawn for a day but nothing major. Dolly though developed a limp around 24 hrs after the vaccination. She hasn't done anything strenuous since the jab and after looking into it on-line I am completely convinced it's a side effect to the Cylap.

I did call my vet to see if they are able to supply an alternative jab for Bubs as he's due next month but they said no :( and sounded surprised about the limp as an effect of the cylap.

I haven't really been able to find out how long the limp usually lasts for (it's Friday night now, she still has it and was injected on Wednesday afternoon) so I intend on updating this once she has (hopefully) recovered. I am going to see how she is tomorrow and if it's still there take her to the vet for some pain meds as it's horrible to see her so uncomfortable she can't steady herself to sleep properly and can't lay down for very long. She's eating and drinking normally though. Fingers crossed it will sort itself soon and I won't be giving either or any bun cylap in the future and telling all bunny owning friends to avoid it just in case.

Back