• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

desperate advice pleeease?

Hello,
I have 2 male rabbits( definately!) Which are 12 weeks old and brothers, they are really super to handle and really love each other and snuggle and groom each other a lot, thyre always together and are ok eating out of the same bowl etc. However, recently Artie has started to hump Henry, I know it could be a dominance thing as I always thought. He was the "boss" from the beginning because of how he acts. Henry has never tried to do it back and often just puts his head down and let's it happen or runs away from Artie. He still acts normally with him in between it happening. I have read a lot about it being normal behaviour but I'm just worrying because as he's humping him he's pulling at Henrys fur and pulling bits out and I don't want it to hurt him!! So wondering if this is normal? They have they're 2nd vac at vets in few days so I will discuss neutering because I'd hate to seperate them!! Also, I may be imagining things but he seems to hump more when he knows I'm there!? I have watched them from the window for ages and nothing.... The minute I go outside it starts? Any advice on this please!!?? Thanku! Xx

Your buns have hit puberty, so yes their behaviour is completely normal.

Humping can be harmless but it may turn into fighting and biting which will be painfull.

I would try and get them in for neutering ASAP to avoid having to separate them :wave:

xxx

Hello,
I have 2 male rabbits( definately!) Which are 12 weeks old and brothers, they are really super to handle and really love each other and snuggle and groom each other a lot, thyre always together and are ok eating out of the same bowl etc. However, recently Artie has started to hump Henry, I know it could be a dominance thing as I always thought. He was the "boss" from the beginning because of how he acts. Henry has never tried to do it back and often just puts his head down and let's it happen or runs away from Artie. He still acts normally with him in between it happening. I have read a lot about it being normal behaviour but I'm just worrying because as he's humping him he's pulling at Henrys fur and pulling bits out and I don't want it to hurt him!! So wondering if this is normal? They have they're 2nd vac at vets in few days so I will discuss neutering because I'd hate to seperate them!! Also, I may be imagining things but he seems to hump more when he knows I'm there!? I have watched them from the window for ages and nothing.... The minute I go outside it starts? Any advice on this please!!?? Thanku! Xx

Yes this is normal for rabbits it a sign of showing 'whos the boss' I would deffinatley consider neuturing. as male rabbits have been known to fight once they get older (even brothers) Do you have other rabbits. One of my paris fight after I have held my other rabbits and go to stroke them.

There definitely sounds to be a dominence/ownership type thing going on when you are around.

I've no idea what to suggest re separating them or keeping them together but definitely keep a close eye on them if they do stay together. Some vets won't neuter until 6 months old but if that's what you vet says you should, hopefully be able to find a vet that will neuter straight after their testicles have dropped and they can stay together/go back together quickly. It's rare for males not to fight properly when they reach adulthood but I have two brothers that have never fallen out, now neutered and very closely bonded.

Congratulations on having an Artie by the way, I think I'm the only other person on the forum with an Artie :love::love: (He's a serial humper too :lol::lol:)

I got Toby neutered at 14 weeks, some vets say 6 months but if you look round I think most will neuter so long as A) balls have dropped and B) they are over 1kg (I think its kg)

I dont think fur pulling hurts so long as he's not biting the skin. Just discourage him if he's humping the other ones head incase he gets an unexpected neutering from his brother.

This could turn into a full on fight.Somebun could get very badly hurt......
Hope all goes ok.Are you going to separate,neuter and re bond or get wives????:wave::wave::wave:

Thank u soo much everyone for your advice, I feel a lot better knowing they're normal! I am keeping a close eye and am going to get them neutered as soon as I can to try to avoid fighting and I've heard it prevents certain problems 'down there' too!? Looks like my little babies are growing up lol! I only have the 2! My old english died at xmas after 8 years :( RIP hooch!! Yey for the Arties! Such a cute name! He's a little monkey!! :p xx

Back