• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Night away from home?

SamanthaJane

Warren Veteran
I'm staying away for the night tomorrow - I can't take the buns with me, but I don't want to leave them :-(

What's the 'rules' so to speak with how long you can leave buns? They are 11 weeks old, sisters, bonded. We'll be leaving in the afternoon sometime, and not sure what time returning the next day.

I won't leave them if it's not safe, just I need advice on it!

Thanks!

I was in your situation too once. My parents dont really think about the rabbits and one morning they just decided we were staying at my nana's for the night :shock: no one could look after the bunnies. So i filled up all their hay , gave them there food and greens and gave them a an extra water bottle just to be sure. i also made sure all the latches were down. They were fine. But have told my mum to tell me in advance if were going away overnight :?

I think its OK, as long as you make sure they have enough to keep them going. LOADS of hay, and several extra bowls/bottles of water (both, incase bowls tip over/bottles fall off).

ok thanks guys - still not sure about it though! I won't settle at all - I might ask my sister to pop round and just check on them, (she won't want to though!) but it'll settle my mind a bit.

We're going in the afternoon, if she checks on them in the morning? Oh it's Easter Sunday, I'll never hear the end of it. I might just try and fit the whole cage in the car and take them with us!

So this must be what it's like to have children...!

ok thanks guys - still not sure about it though! I won't settle at all - I might ask my sister to pop round and just check on them, (she won't want to though!) but it'll settle my mind a bit.

We're going in the afternoon, if she checks on them in the morning? Oh it's Easter Sunday, I'll never hear the end of it. I might just try and fit the whole cage in the car and take them with us!

So this must be what it's like to have children...!

Nope, they have to come with us!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I am going away on Sunday overnight and I plan to give them LOADS of hay, their usual pellets and make sure they have plenty of water. I would never do it for more than 1 night, but I am going to be away for less than 24 hours, won't be able to relax though!! I might ask my friend who doesn't live to far just to pop round in the morning to check them, could you do this?

I will ask my sister - it would all be a lot easier if my OH would settle on a plan rather than play by ear everytime! Complicates everything!

I will load them with hay, they have 2 large water bottles, so I'll fill them both up and put a bowl, JUST in case (although they just trample bedding through that!) I'll give them pellets but I don't want them to pig them all at once - which they will.

I'll ask my sister if she'll pop round on Sunday morning and top them up - at least we won't have to hurry back too quickly then.

Thanks everyone :)

I will ask my sister - it would all be a lot easier if my OH would settle on a plan rather than play by ear everytime! Complicates everything!

I will load them with hay, they have 2 large water bottles, so I'll fill them both up and put a bowl, JUST in case (although they just trample bedding through that!) I'll give them pellets but I don't want them to pig them all at once - which they will.

I'll ask my sister if she'll pop round on Sunday morning and top them up - at least we won't have to hurry back too quickly then.

Get her an easter egg and leave it for her in your house, that way she has to come over :lol: Just give them their normal amount of pellets, not extra to compensate for the next morning. They will be fine on just hay and water till you get back, but too many pellets could cause excess caceotrophs.

You could always scatter pellets, so rather than having a bowl, they have to hunt for them. Keeps them going longer.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. We decided to come home and stay there in the end! :roll:

But I'll for next time, although I'll probably do the same thing because I'll worry again!

Every 3-4 weeks or so I go to my moms to spend the night, and I leave the buns for 24 hours. I let them out right before I go, give them loads of hay and enough water, and a big bowl of food. They are always fine when I get back, just a little grumpy at me and they absolutely fly out of their cage :D

I've also left them a little longer once, without meaning to. It was over christmas and I'd popped back to my moms, while I was there it snowed and iced over heavily (much worse than it had been the previous day) and after spending 6 hours on the motorway trying to get 40 mins back to my house and getting 1 exit I had to call it quits and go back to my moms. I fretted all night, I was so worried the buns would be in pain from not being able to have a proper stretch & run (they have a large dog cage) or would run out of food but I got up and left as soon as it was light the next morning, got home and they were totally fine! Loads of hay left, ran out of fresh food and pellets, and then I let them out for nearly 12 hours :)

I guess it depends on the buns routine. Mine get let out in the afternoon through to the evening. if yours are used to being let out twice a day, then it will effect them more.

Back