• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vibes for Beatrix please - update 25/4 :)

When Pie gets gas/bloat I always give her 0.3 mls of Infacol (sorry never used gripe water). I would say only give her the Metacam if she is in a lot of discomfort/pain.

I hope someone else can give better advice though. :wave:

Does Beatrix suffer from gas often? If this is the first time i would be careful, might be worth calling the vet for advice over the phone. I have never used gripe water, i use Infacol when our kids are bad. Metacam, it depends what strength metacam you have, there is dog and cat metacam. How long has Beatrix been poorly? Have you tried to get her to move around, it sometimes helps xx

Just checked another thread and it says 2ml per kg repeat in after an hour if not better. Sending lots of vibes.

Okay well I know she approx 3kg so have just given her 6mls of gripe water. A lot of it went onto her fur but she got plenty in her mouth (she hated it). She fought me a bit which is a very good sign.

Unfortanately Beatrix does get gas sometimes. It always tends to last about 2 hours. I used Infacol in the past but remembered that Jack's-Jane recommended gripe water instead so got some of that.

Well the gripe water hasn't worked. I've just given her some Infacol. If that does improve her then I'm calling the emergency vet. I know from last time they don't take this seriously as last time I was told she was probably just "full". My normal vet is very good, its just whoever is the emergency person on the phone that was bad last time.

I held her on my lap (on the floor) and gave her gentle tummy rubs after the infacol until she had enough and hopped off. Her ears are warm so no low temp. Her ears are now not shaking so much. Fingers and paws crossed

Last edited:
Beatrix was still not eating this morning. She was drinking a little but no food. I phoned the vet to get an emergency appointment but had to wait until 12pm as they were full up with emergencies. Anyway I got us in and it was a vet from another practice covering for Easter. I never met her before and she was very nice but I don't think fully rabbit savvy.

She felt Beatrix and said she couldn't find any thing wrong with her tummy from feeling it. But I insisted Beatrix get some metoclop and metacam which Darcy has had in the past when he had a bad tummy. I know my bunnies and Beatrix NEVER goes without food and she is a very healthy bunny normally.

We've been home a while now she seems a bit brighter. She is drinking a lot but still not eating. I've got an electric fan on oscillating the room to give a nice breeze. I got some fibreplex from the vets too which I will hold off using until later today if she is not better.

Please can my baby Beatrix have some healing vibes.

Beatrix has eaten a little cabbage. Not as much as I would like. She lying relaxed and no shaking. Ears warm. She is drinking. Her pee has a slightly red/orange stain to it. I did tell the vet but she didn't think it was noteworthy. I don't know whether to leave her alone a little longer or to start giving fibreplex. Any advice really appreciated :?

Yes plant polyphenols can make a Rabbit's urine very dark orange.

Is she drinking more than normal ?

I am wondering if she may have cystitis/a UTI. The pain from this could be enough to stop her from eating. It would also explain why the Vet said her guts felt OK. But having said that one would hope that an abdominal examination would include the bladder..................

Yes plant polyphenols can make a Rabbit's urine very dark orange.

Is she drinking more than normal ?

I am wondering if she may have cystitis/a UTI. The pain from this could be enough to stop her from eating. It would also explain why the Vet said her guts felt OK. But having said that one would hope that an abdominal examination would include the bladder..................

She felt all over her stomach and underneath. She listened with her stethescope. Thats as far I know what she checked for. :? Beatrix has been drinking but not more than usual. She is still not eating so I gave her Fibreplex at 6.10pm and the rest later. She was given metacam so I at least know she is not in any pain.

Sending more eating vibes for Beatrix. If as Jane suggested she does have cystitis Merlin had this and wouldn't eat. He was on antibiotics and metacam and I was syringe feeding him for a while.

Its definitely a real concern to me. I feel frustrated though as my normal vet is not back until later in the week. If Beatrix doesn't improve by tomorrow I could maybe go back to the covering vet and just give her your advice and meds ideas. She was very nice but didn't seem very rabbit savvy.

Sending tons of vibes to you. Went through this earlier in the week with Honey so know how awful it is for bunny and you.

Vibes for bunny and hugs for you.x

Sorry only just caught up with your thread :oops:

How is your little girl this morning? Any improvement? If she's still off her food then I would pop her back for some pain relief today and definitely some fluids if she's not drinking? How is she doing? :wave:

Back