• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best wire - 16g or 19g

Charlotte333

Warren Scout
I'm buying a 8ft by 8ft x 28ins run from ukrabbithutches:D

I'm not sure whether to go for mesh which is 16g 1in x 1.5in or 19g 1/2in x 1/2in. I don't know whether the size of the holes or the strength of the mesh is more important. Please help:lol::lol:

I'm buying a 8ft by 8ft x 28ins run from ukrabbithutches:D

I'm not sure whether to go for mesh which is 16g 1in x 1.5in or 19g 1/2in x 1/2in. I don't know whether the size of the holes or the strength of the mesh is more important. Please help:lol::lol:

If I was given that choice I would go for 1in x 1/2 inch as you can push dandelion leaves/Carroty treats through - 1/2 x 1/2 inch is a struggle :lol::lol::lol: It's also quite adequate to keep mice out.

I *think* 16g is stronger too and that would clinch it.

i would go for the 16g.... 19g left me very unimpressed it was too flimsy. i have 16g for my chippie cage, but even then if i was creating an outside avairy i would probably go even stronger and get 14g

Hi there :wave:
I PM'd you earlier...hope you got it ok. Run is all assembled - was straightforward - and is looking great. Pretty pleased with it. Am definitely glad I went for the 16g. The mesh size is 1 x 1/2 inch...feels sturdy enough but big enough to feed treats through.
I did ask Dave if he could supply 14g, but 16g was the only alternative to the usual 19g. Might be worth asking though.

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

Hi there :wave:
I PM'd you earlier...hope you got it ok. Run is all assembled - was straightforward - and is looking great. Pretty pleased with it. Am definitely glad I went for the 16g. The mesh size is 1 x 1/2 inch...feels sturdy enough but big enough to feed treats through.
I did ask Dave if he could supply 14g, but 16g was the only alternative to the usual 19g. Might be worth asking though.

Thanks Debs for your message. It's been very helpful. I originally thought that the strength of the mesh was based on the size of the hole. I'll be ordering the 16g or 14g if available:D:D

Definately 16guage. 19guage is acceptable but 16guage is better. 1inch x 1/2inch is small enough that nothing significant can get through.

Back