• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am I in for a shock or am i super lucky?!

carolineclair

Warren Scout
Maple has been with me for only 6 days, feels like forever already (in a great way!) but I think I may need a reality check. Either that or I have a super well behaved bunny!

Today was the first day Ive allowed her to be free range while I was at work, all week ive been allowing her out for an hour each morning and 3 or 4 hours an evening but today decided that as we had had no accidents/issues Id see how it went. Well ive come home to three single poos on the carpet (that could quite easily have been kicked out the hutch ) no wet patches, no chewed anything and a very happy bunny on my return who is still insisting on washing my feet!

Is she likley to go through a 'teenage' phase where she becomes slightly more destructive or am I just one super lucky mummy!

I was so proud of her when i got home!!!

ALSO We're going to the vets tomorrow for our first check up and so i can find out about vaccines etc - is there anything I should ask or be aware of ??

Also this is how she is laid out at the moment...haha someone's had a hard day!!!

Photo_164E3F13-52A9-F8DE-B285-137CD1689E251.jpg
[/IMG]

101_3057-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Sorry that turned into a much longer post than planned!!!

Aww that is amazing!! Let's hope it stays that way!!
Very good idea taking her for a check up :)
My vet didn't tell me about side effects of vaccines yesterday and they had their VHD and I got very worried today when Willow started limping and found out it's a side effect.
You might want to talk to your vet about worming her and ask (I know she's too young) about spaying to see how rabbit savvy your vet is with it just so you feel comfortable when the time comes :)

Good luck at the vets

Wait until shes settled in then your in for it :lol:

I love love love dutches and a bit of an addict :lol: :oops:

All mine have been super careful and clean and not chewy until they have been here 8+ weeks then I realise they are ******* :lol:

Oh she is soooooo sweet :love: Lets hope she stays so well behaved when the teenage hormones rear their ugly heads :lol:

Btw I notice you have a plant accessible to her, is it bunny safe? If not I would probably move it somewhere out of her reach, just incase she decides to get adventurous or greedy ;):wave:

Maple is very cute and one relaxed bunny.

I am not sure. I was relaxed with my first 2 bunnies (they came as a couple). A few days later they chewed through many wires.

Generally if clean they will stay clean with poo and wee. Never trust a bunny and wires.

Saying that my 2 bunnies now are good but I do cover up the wires. They never chew furniture. Just curtains. :lol:

Hey,
Your bunny :love:

Ask your vet about spaying and like above you'll find out if savvy or not.
If they work with rabbits regularly and neuter and spay regularly your bun will be in good hands, I hope.

She's young for a spay, but still ask to know what they will do in the future, when she's 6 months of age [the minimum age of a female bun to get spayed]

Ask the vet about Myxi and VHD Vaccines, get Myxi done first then after 2 weeks get VHD done, ask about side effects ..

Ask them what vaccine they use for VHD if Cylap then you will have side effects which the bun will wear out from after a day or two.

If Anivac the new VHD vaccine then great, there have been no known side effects of this VHD Vaccine.

Make sure they check teeth whilst checking your bun

:wave:

Btw I notice you have a plant accessible to her, is it bunny safe? If not I would probably move it somewhere out of her reach, just incase she decides to get adventurous or greedy ;):wave:

I had it on a table out of her reach today while i was out, its a palm, im not sure if its harmful or not, does anyone know?? Its the only plant ive got and am happy to move it to another room...she only has the lounge and kitchen.

Saying that my 2 bunnies now are good but I do cover up the wires. They never chew furniture. Just curtains. :lol:

Thanks, today i had my tv unplugged and the wire placed well out of reach but i want to get one of those hard plastic wire covers so i can leave it plugged in in future, any recomendations? Ive seen the wrap around hose pipe stlye and the square shaped that you attach against the wall. im not sure what to go for?

Hey,
Your bunny :love:

Ask your vet about spaying and like above you'll find out if savvy or not.
If they work with rabbits regularly and neuter and spay regularly your bun will be in good hands, I hope.

She's young for a spay, but still ask to know what they will do in the future, when she's 6 months of age [the minimum age of a female bun to get spayed]

Ask the vet about Myxi and VHD Vaccines, get Myxi done first then after 2 weeks get VHD done, ask about side effects ..

Ask them what vaccine they use for VHD if Cylap then you will have side effects which the bun will wear out from after a day or two.

If Anivac the new VHD vaccine then great, there have been no known side effects of this VHD Vaccine.

Make sure they check teeth whilst checking your bun

:wave:

Thank you for the info. Apart from the myximitosis and VHD are there other vaccines I need to be aware of or are recommended?

Ask them what vaccine they use for VHD if Cylap then you will have side effects which the bun will wear out from after a day or two.QUOTE]

It is best to avoid Cylap but it is not a certain your rabbit will get side affects, Cylap is a type of vaccine for VHD but in a large number of rabbits it's been found to have side effects, such as limping/tiredness/lump or redness around the neck area. One of my rabbits had the Cylap VHD jab and she was absouletly fine but now I know of the risks I will be asking about types of vaccines.

Your bun is very cute :love: I'd also reccomend spaying when she's old enough, it will make your bun happier and healthier. 85% of unspayed does get uterine cancer I think it is and many females have phantom pregnancy's and can become agressive, my bun was lovely and nice natured until sexual maturity when she lunged at anyone in sight, grunted and was terrible for chewing everything and anything! Spaying made a great difference in how she acted and I was able to adopt a neutered male husbun for her :)

Thank you for the info. Apart from the myximitosis and VHD are there other vaccines I need to be aware of or are recommended?

No, but some people worm their rabbits for a parasite called E.C. I can't remember the full name or the name of the worming thing but will look it up :)

So if shes vaccined tomorrow should i keep her in her hutch after or is she ok to still be handled and given free roam??

I think she'll be fine, my two have both been fine after jabs although she may be a bit quiet. I don't know if buns feel sore after jabs like we do but I tend not to touch the neck area where they've had them done incase it's sore.

Wait until shes settled in then your in for it :lol:

I love love love dutches and a bit of an addict :lol: :oops:

All mine have been super careful and clean and not chewy until they have been here 8+ weeks then I realise they are ******* :lol:

Ha ha i cant wait for that! They are beautiful aren't they!! If there is anything breed specific that I might need to be aware of please let me know!

x

Aw she is gorgeous! How old is she? I've had my baby bun Jack for 11 days now and he is a chewer! His favourites are carpet and leather sofa lol!

He is very good and only does the toilet in his litter tray. Hope you have lots of fun with your little bun x

I have permanently free ranging house bunnies. THey have free ranged for three years. Generally, they do not do damage. However, bunnies are very project oriented which means that once they get it into their heads to do something they go back to it again and again. One way to minimise damage is to provide attractive decoys in the form of a yellow pages and cardboard boxes, paper bags etc. My own buns also get their pellets in a treat ball, which they very much enjoy.

Aw she is gorgeous! How old is she? I've had my baby bun Jack for 11 days now and he is a chewer! His favourites are carpet and leather sofa lol!

He is very good and only does the toilet in his litter tray. Hope you have lots of fun with your little bun x

She is about 9 Weeks I believe. How old is Jack? Maple is a licker, ive had my arms, legs and feet licked constantly since about day 3, but so far *fingers crossed* no nibbling!! Shes also very good with the toilet, in fact she got a little stroppy with me when i was cleaning out her hutch this eve because she wanted to go for a wee! She pushed passed my arm and went in her usual spot before id put any paper back down. Determined to be tidy thats what i like!!

Im getting new sofas in a few weeks so im a little nervous but weve had no issues on these ones so fingers crossed. i wonder if there is something i can spray that deters rabbits??

She is about 9 Weeks I believe. How old is Jack? Maple is a licker, ive had my arms, legs and feet licked constantly since about day 3, but so far *fingers crossed* no nibbling!! Shes also very good with the toilet, in fact she got a little stroppy with me when i was cleaning out her hutch this eve because she wanted to go for a wee! She pushed passed my arm and went in her usual spot before id put any paper back down. Determined to be tidy thats what i like!!

Im getting new sofas in a few weeks so im a little nervous but weve had no issues on these ones so fingers crossed. i wonder if there is something i can spray that deters rabbits??

Be careful with things that you can buy from pet shops because some of them may not be suitable for rabbits.

Back