• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

spayed, now will not eat! very worried

pancakes!

New Kit
Hi All,
My girlfriend had Pancakes spayed on monday and since then she has hardly eaten anything, I managed to syringe feed her some recovery mix but it was very stressfull and since then she has had a few chews on carrots and a few green flakes from musely, My girlfriend has hardly left her side and is so worried, Can anyone advise anything at all?
up to now she has seen the vet, tried suger snap peas,carrots,brocolly regular pellets and musely.
thanks in advance
Tony

yeah she is getting some pain releif thru some medicine from the vet, she is pooping although smaller than usual and is weeing as she seems to be drinking almost as normal. vet saw her on wednesday. she is obviously uncomfortable as she is streatching sometimes but the wound looks good and i imagine this to be the itchy feeling from the healing?

With Lilou I soaked pellets in water and then blended them with some of her favorite greens (like making baby food) and she licked it off a teaspoon. She also would eat a pellet if I pushed it in her mouth (from the side so it slid in behind her teeth). Also with Lilou and Treacle they where both outdoor rabbits, I kept them in after spay as advised but they actually picked up really quickly when they when back in to their own hutches outside in a familiar environment.
I agree maybe she needs another pain killing injection. What kind of stitches did she have, are they internal ones that she can't chew or ones that have to be taken out by the vet?

she had her last injection on wednesday, the stitches are the ones that dissolve? If i litterally rub musely on her mouth eventually it goes in but its a very slow process and the girlfiend struggles to force things on her cos its breaking her heart, trouble is i cant be there all the time. Pancakes is an indoor reabbit too,
thanks for advise

My two girls were spayed on Wednesday. They didn't really eat until the following afternoon.
My vet advised this was normal and that as long as they were eating and pooing then it was ok. Their droppings were smaller than normal but this was due to the fact they weren't eating as much.
Dandelions were the things that got my girls eating again. Grated carrot was good too. They seemed to prefer softer foods. I left them on a saucer overnight and by morning some of the foods had gone. They have gradually built up what they have been eating, and actually ate pellets today. I had been mixing them with hot water to make them mushy.

I'd say as long as they are eating something, no matter how small, and pooping, then they sound ok. Its a big operation for girl bunnies and they often take longer than boy bunnies to recover. By all means I'm no expert, so if in any doubt, call the vet.
Sending vibes your way :)

Another thought aswell. Make sure your giving her breaks because if your spending too much time fussing her you might be stressing her out more. Decide some set times for feeding her and let her just be quite and feel sorry for herself inbetween. You can have it she can come to you if she wants but try not to ficus all your attention on her inbetween times.

thanks for all the quick advice guys,
everyone is so helpfull and friendly on here and even tho it doesnt make my girlfriend feel better but makes me feel a bit more confident,
thanks
(no one mentioned my terrible spelling either;-) )

Another thought aswell. Make sure your giving her breaks because if your spending too much time fussing her you might be stressing her out more. Decide some set times for feeding her and let her just be quite and feel sorry for herself inbetween. You can have it she can come to you if she wants but try not to ficus all your attention on her inbetween times.

I agree. My girls ate more when I left them to it. Try using a saucer rather than a bowl too... I found that helped.

You could also try a selection of herbs, I find that stronger smelling ones e.g. thyme can get them tempted after a GA. You could event try a little apple or pineapple to tempt her but not too much.

I hope she is feeling better soon.

I also agree about not constantly fussing over Pancakes. Molly didn't eat after her hysterectomy and I eventually realised that my stress was making her even more anxious. I found she would eat parsley and dandelion leaf if I hand fed her. She also needed an opiate as well as metacam to keep her pain manageable and metaclop to stimulate her gut.

Sending lots of nomming vibes for Pancakes.

Hi, this is pancakes mum,

she is a million times better today, eating nearly normally,
thanks for all the advice and support it is much appreciated :)

Back