• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm really confused about what's best.

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
Grimlock has hardly any teeth left and he has overgrown roots. He finds it very difficult to eat. It's too painful for him to eat hay and he rarely touches any veg. He lives off soggy excel junior pellets.In the circumstances he is doing amazingly well. He has one health issue after another but fights on. I've even managed to get him to eat dried papaya recently. Before Smoo he was an only bun. I think he was on his own for about two or three years. In that time I was able to provide everything exactly how he needed it. He had unlimited food available to him at all times. But I didn't like seeing him on his own, I didn't think it was fair.

So along came Smoo. It was amazing. They were bonded within 24 hours. The had a small falling out two months later but after another 24 hours in the dog crate they have been happily bonded ever since. She dotes on him like a loving mother, cleaning his face for him and just generally snuggling him. It's obvious Grim is so much happier with her. His eye still run but Smoo keeps them clean and you can hardly even notice. And she is obviously happy too. But a problem has arisen. I thought Smoo might tempt Grim to eat a more diverse range of foods. He sniffs her veg but has never tried to eat any of it. Once I made them a plate of tiny chopped cauliflower, broccoli, carrot and probably some other stuff and mixed oats in with it. He did eat some of that and I had to get photos to prove it. I thought it was a turning point but he never ate it again. :?

But Smoo eats his food.

I can no longer leave the pellets out all the time for Grim as Smoo helps herself. It was obvious she was putting on a bit of weight and it had to stop. I started to feed Grim separately, teaching him to come inside for his food, and Smoo had a healthy bunny diet of mainly hay with only a few pellets and a little veg. Within a month it was obvious this was working. She had lost exactly 100g and Grimlock had put on exactly 100g. :shock:

But she looks so sad outside on her own when Grim comes in to eat. I usually give her a bit of veg and she runs off with it in her mouth like a dog. That distracts her for a bit but she has started to get an obsession with getting in the back door. She charges in as Grim goes out and 'smoovers' the floor with such ferociousness so pick up any stray pellet. But on the other side, Grim now relies on me for his food, the only food he can eat. I offer for him to come inside every four hours but I feel bad that he has to wait for me and food isn't readily available to him. If I'm at university from 9 'til 5 I'm out of the house from 7am until 7pm. I have my housemate on standby to feed him and if he's working another friend comes round. It works. Grim gets fed, Smoo gets a proper rabbit diet. But I don't know, I still feel bad. Grim wanted food and came in but it was just as the washing machine was finishing and it's really noisy in there. I doesn't bother him that I'm aware, he really is one of those special buns that doesn't care, but it bothers me. And Smoo looks so sad outside.

I'm thinking about adopting another bunny to spend time with Smoo outside so that she's never alone. I've fallen for one but she's been ill so I'm waiting to hear how she's doing. I hope this will help Smoo.

I just wish Grim could have his food all the time like he used to, but still have the company of another rabbit. How do I know he prefers to be with Smoo than have his food right there? I know they are so in love. He cleans her and snuggles into her, she cleans him and snuggles into him. They're so happy. I just wish I could have it perfect for them both. :love:

Without knowing too much about them, would there be a way to give Grim a place he can get to that Smoo can't get to? Like a jumping bunny could have his food up high, or a smaller bunny could have a tiny space that a bigger bunny couldn't get to.

Without knowing too much about them, would there be a way to give Grim a place he can get to that Smoo can't get to? Like a jumping bunny could have his food up high, or a smaller bunny could have a tiny space that a bigger bunny couldn't get to.

Not that I can think of, but if anyone else can. :)
I toyed with the idea of a catflap that only he could get through, like the microchip ones. :?

Back