• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it mean to let a rabbit out to free range while its bonded friend is on cage rest?

zayna1

Warren Scout
I have 2 rabbits. The female was spayed on tuesday, so is now recovering, and her bonded partner is there with her. I let him out to free range in the garden today, as he was getting fed up being cooped up. But the female seems so sad and lost without him Im in a sort of dilemma, it's either her being bored and lonely, or him getting hyper in the playpen, now allowing her to rest. I let him out, and as soon as he touched the grass he binkied non stop...he had been in the playpen for over 24 hours. Advice please?

A slightly different situation but Alfie was on cage rest for 6 weeks last year. Bubbles was inside with him but I let her out every day for a run about as I didn't think it was fair on her to be cooped up when she didn't need to be.

Alfie wasn't very impressed at being made to stay in, but I think the benefits outweighed that.

I don't think it's mean. :wave:

After Billy had his leg amputated he had to stay in for some time. I let Storm out without him during the day, and put her back at night. I was worried that the lack of exercise and the stress of being cooped up wouldn't be good for her.

Back