• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sand box?

xSmeffy123x

Alpha Buck
Hiya everyone, thought i would ask your opinion on getting a sand box for digging within my bunnies' hutch as they are on concrete and i want them to use their instincts. i was speaking to my dads friend who runs a rabbit haven in her house and to stop them from burrowing out of their hutches she puts sand boxes in their and they love to dig in.

just asking whether anyone else has tried this and if it is a good idea/ safe??

thanks!

I recommend a big plastic water trough / bath. I got mine from eBay for about £30 and filled it with soil, you can see it here on the left:
joeyroorun.jpg

Just DON'T fill it as high as I did, they love digging in it but the soil goes everywhere, so I've got to take lots of it out :)

I'd fill it with potting soil, not sand, since playsand has silica in it, which is bad for your health as well as you buns.

My boys have always loved sand. The only trouble is that they pee in it, so it needs changing quite a lot.

Back