• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Excess Caeco's - grass question

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
The buns have been on the grass for around an hour today, theres 2 excess poops, would these be caused by the grass or something else?

Im not sure how long the body takes to produce caecotrophes :?

I would say it is the grass. Twinkle can't eat grass due to excess caecals si I cover the grass with carpet tiles and hay.

I didnt realise they were produced that quickly, I was hoping it might of been the parsley I gave them first thing this morning (a couple of hours before the grass)

There has been no problems scince this morning - ahh bunnies are confusing!

Do they usually have access to grass? It could be the change rather than the grass it self. Unless it turns into an on going problem then I wouldn't restrict access just yet, give them time to adjust.

It may also be a combination, for example a rabbit eating loads of fresh grass may need less pellets to balance it out :)

I would also wonder whether if the grass is new and a novelty whether they got distracted whilst nomming their cecals. I've seen mine do this sometimes when really excited.

Spring grass can definitely cause excess caecals & needs to be introduced slowly. It is high in nutrients. Evening grass is slightly higher in sugars than early morning grass.
(Look at sheep's bottoms in spring - very messy!)

its very possible that sebastian was to distracted to eat them, he didnt stop for breath :lol:
I'll keep going but deffinatly slowly and if they persist I guess I'll have to dig up the grass seed I planted in thier new area :roll:

its very possible that sebastian was to distracted to eat them, he didnt stop for breath :lol:
I'll keep going but deffinatly slowly and if they persist I guess I'll have to dig up the grass seed I planted in thier new area :roll:

I wouldn't dig it up. You might try covering 1/2 the grass with a piece of old carpet offcut. If you move it every couple of days the grass won't yellow, or die. It'll be a lot less rich in sugars & slower to grow. Once the buns get used to it it's fine!

The buns have been on the grass for around an hour today, theres 2 excess poops, would these be caused by the grass or something else?

Im not sure how long the body takes to produce caecotrophes :?

24 - 72 hours apparently according to an exotic vet in the US that I have read an article by, in which case it is unlikely to be today's grass :wave:

From my personal experience I would say that caecal passing is slower the more unbalanced bunny's overall gut health is. I.e... the slower the motility, the slower the caecal passing.

I wouldn't dig it up. You might try covering 1/2 the grass with a piece of old carpet offcut. If you move it every couple of days the grass won't yellow, or die. It'll be a lot less rich in sugars & slower to grow. Once the buns get used to it it's fine!

I think Sebastian would eat it :( we will see if they can adjust I suppose :)

24 - 72 hours apparently according to an exotic vet in the US that I have read an article by, in which case it is unlikely to be today's grass :wave:

From my personal experience I would say that caecal passing is slower the more unbalanced bunny's overall gut health is. I.e... the slower the motility, the slower the caecal passing.

I thought it may be closer to 24 hours than 1 :) I cant think what I fed them yesterday though, I need to ask my dad as he was with them all day. It might of been the cleavers from tuesday I suppose :?

Back