• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A Message Great Update P 60

honeybunny

Wise Old Thumper
This forum is for rabbit lovers..and as anyone who has been a member for more than 5 minutes knows, it is, rightly in my opinion, biased towards rescues and rescuing.

Most members think rescues do a great job.
Most members want rescues to go on rescuing.
Most members think rescues should not put to sleep hard to home animals.
So please read below and think about whats written..and then act on it...it is a long post but stick with it

Hi I'm Bouncer, well known on here

blooll.jpg

I'm handsome and live up to my name, but I do not like other bunnies and I don't like being picked up..so I need a home with lots of space and an owner who knows I just want to be a rabbit.
Despite many appeals I have not found a home

Hi we are Trixie and Skittle. Trixie is friendly Skittle is more reserved and needs a dental yearly..again no offers of a home

Trixieandskittle.jpg

I am Simby

Simby.jpg

I fight with other rabbits and will bite humans..although I'm fun to watch..still waiting for a home

I am Jeannie and thank my lucky stars I ended up with Honeybunnies, as despite the fact I am so aggressive, they love me and I know I will be safe here forever..I very much doubt anyone else would offer me a home

jeannienests.jpg

We are Jovie and Plum..Jovie has an awful coat that tangles as soon as you look at it, Plum is still scared of humans for no apparent reason
No offers of a home

jplu.jpg

So which of you will offer a hard to home bunny a home?
Form a queue..I doubt it:(
I'm not getting at any individual or trying to make anyone take on a pet they couldn't cope with
but how do you think rescues can keep all these rabbits and go on helping others when even members on a forum like this, who are experienced and know the situation, buy from breeders or pet shops with various tales of why they just " had " to
This Easter..make yours chocolate..but afterwards when you are looking for an extra pet..look to youself and have a glance at some of these overlooked animals..most rescues will have some..it could be the most rewarding adoption you ever do

Last edited:
:(

I'd just like to say thank you for standing by these bunnies Jill,you and all rescues who do the same thing.

I adopted Jasmine and Diesel who were long termers from Kirkby, both turned out to be dental bunnies and costs were high , no way I would have changed that for the world,although Jasmine has gone to the bridge Diesel is still with me and they were 2 of the most rewarding bunnies from day one :)

Diesel now lives indoors and is THE most loving bunny I have ever had so I fully agree with your sentiment about these bunnies being rewarding.

Well said Jill :)

I too would like to emphasise how rewarding having a bun with "issues" can be. To see the change in them, even if only very small and even if only occasional, is wonderful and can be very moving. Knowing you helped to make that change is better than anything money could buy and gives you the most amazing feeling :love:

To see them run & binky, enjoy their food and accept the odd nose rub makes me beam from ear to ear and makes me feel all warm tingly :love:

Such small and simple things to us and yet to a rabbit - those things can be everything :love:

It may feel like a drop in the ocean but making even a small difference is still a difference and to rabbit it can be life changing and even life saving.

:wave:

I think those bunnies, and all the other bunnies with 'issues' are lucky when they fall on their feet into experienced rescues and homes. In recent years (i.e. since before joining the forum) I have only taken on the special needs ones (be them behavioural or medical) and they have brought so much pleaure to my life.

I have another two here at the moment who are special, but are fosters. One very dental, one lesser so, and whilst I would love to keep them, I'm completely full. No signs of any interest though.

These bunnies deserve their forever home as much as anybunny else and I truly hope they all find them.

Thank you for posting this Jill.

I also have seen the wonderful results when someone takes on a 'difficult' bunny but how the difficult bunny came become the most amazing member of the family and all it takes is one to one care and attention.

Foster parents are amazing but what each and every 'overlooked' bunny needs is a home to call their own.

I currently have a majority of bunnies here that have been overlooked. One pair of 5 1/2 year old agouti sisters. They are the most amazing ever and fly around in their space - but no offers of a home. Is it because they are 'brown' and boring? I expect it's also due to age and that people imagine health issues approaching (in fact they are two of the most health bunnies we've ever had in) Well they are none of these things but still no enquiries. They are taking up a much needed space for at risk bunnies but if needs be they will stay for the rest of their lives.

I have and 8 1/2 year old blue mini lop boy. He had a home lined up but upon arrival it was obvious he was not in full health - cataracts and weeping eyes with cysts. So again, the chances of him being rehomed are very low because he's not perfect. He is a very happy and outgoing boy who would be a perfect friend for somebun.

In both of these cases, these bunnies would make fantastic additions to a rabbit household.

I would, in a heartbeat adopt some of your longtermers - I've had an eye on Jovie and Plum since the beginning and I simply can't imagine why noone else would adopt them as a happy bonded pair and learn about what they need. The joy of keeping such a pair of bunnies would be in the knowledge that they were happy and settled. And of course, they are so beautiful.

So for any forum members who are considering having bunnies for the first time or has possibly been thinking about taking on some more, please consider the hard to home rabbits. They certainly deserve a forever home just as much as the next bun.

Last edited:
All mine are rescue buns and I wouldn't look back. I find it rewarding that after the abuse they have suffered that they eventually come round and trust you. The fact you can show them something good and dont rescue buns deserve happiness after all they've been through.
I wouldn't change mine for the world even though our vet bill for 4 years is now at £11,000!
This is there stories (cocos not got her page yet)
http://www.hoppybunnyrabbit.com/winston_profile.html
http://www.hoppybunnyrabbit.com/angels_profile.html
http://www.hoppybunnyrabbit.com/jacks profile.html

Before i joined this forum i didnt even consider a rescue for Mylo, but having joined it, when i decided to get another rabbit i didnt even consider a breeder, i went straight for a rescue one.

Its a nice feeling when you realise that you have helped a rabbit who requires a home.

I wish I had the space and money for taking on some of your Honeybunnies, Jill - I love bolshie buns particularly.

Although The Boys weren't officially from a rescue they were still rescues as they were dumped where I worked - I can't imagine life without them now (I had no intention of being kept by a rabbit!)

And I did try with Lady Jane to adopt the small brown tatty scruffy looking bunny who might have been overlooked at the RSPCA - but she's turned into a bit of a stunner.....

I hope some of these bunnies get their forever home soon x

Well said Jill and all.

I have a real soft spot for "grumpy" buns - as long as they're happy, they don't have to like me, and it's such a treat when an aggressive bunny actually accepts food from your hand, or a nose rub, you can forgive them all the grumpy days beforehand!

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

There are such a lot of beautiful bunnies in rescues that there really is no excuse (in my opinion) to buy from a petshop or breeder.

Our foster bunny Sonny is beautiful and we've had so much fun with him. He's turned into a lovely bunny through love, care and attention, but he may be hard to home because he's black, and not particularly 'cute'.

I agree Jill, and you've put that message very well. I know that its like this in lots of the rescues up and down the country too :(

Breaks my heart when there are places cashing in on selling baby rabbits (and inadequate hutches) while the rescues are overrun. :(

I've got a few 'special needs' bunnies and I am so thankful I have them in my life. I love them to bits. Some sad tales behind them but they are all happy now - but that wouldnt have happened without the amazing job that all the rescues do.

And the rescues can only carry on helping more bunnies in need if they have space - and they only get space if people adopt from them.

Here's hoping that all the bunnies that have been in rescue for a long time, will soon get their forever home. Thats my Easter wish.

Well here's my little bit of "making a small difference" for the day... I just popped out to gather some fresh brambles (found a fab HOOOGE "tree" of them too :D) & en route I walked past a house with a bun in a run in the front garden. Bun was in the shade with toys & plenty of water so clearly looked after well & loved. He/she was binkying around too :love: Anyway - the lady happened to be outside & so I said "Oh hello! Nice bun! Always nice to meet another bunny mum! I've just been to pick brambles for my foster buns :D *grins like demented fool* Would you mind putting a poster up in your car over the Easter weekend?! :lol:" I always keep a stash of posters in the car and it happened to be just around the corner ;)

"Yes of course" she said & read the poster with interest :D

ETA: what I'm trying to say is that not everyone can give a home to a bun but there are other ways you can help & make a difference :D:wave:

Last edited:
Well said. I think we all feel for these overlooked bunnies and wish we could offer them all homes.

Just an idea, I think Many Tears Rescue do it, how about having a poster for the individual "difficult to home" buns which members could print off and put up in their local vets, feed stores etc to publicise them?

Great post, those buns are very lucky to be in your care Jill, as are others who are difficult to rehome in other rescues. Hopefully there will be more sensible people this Easter.

You guys do an amazing job and it beggars belief that people know the hard work you do and then go out and buy a rabbit from a shop or a breeder.

As you know, I worked for a large pet store chain for 4 years and that was certainly an eye opener. I would never buy any animal.

I wish I was in a situation where I could take on a hard to home bun. It would give me great pleasure and satisfaction.

So sad seeing that these buns are still in need of forever homes :( and all the other buns at rescues up and down the country. I hope they can find the homes they deserve soon.

I really wish I could offer a home but there's just no room in my little house. I really hope rescues aren't flooded with new buns after easter.

I just want to say that I am amazed by all the rescues that do such wonderful work, and I hope that sometime soon people will appreciate how beautiful ALL bunnies are, and realise the care and love that they need. A big thank you to everyone who is involved in rescues and raising awareness.

Back