• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxi in Cleveland - Question

Wondergirl txt me this morning to say Myxi is on the increase in the New Marske Area of Cleveland. There are a lot of wildies around here because of the amount of woodland and farmland.

I dont know about pet bunnies, i imagine they are more at risk. I live 3 miles away from N.Marske. Im going to check when they are due for their myxi vacs again. I know Dolly is next month and Marley is later than that as he was done in feb. Might get Dolly done next week.

Ive been buying farm bales of hay since November and i get them from a farm in New Marske, right by the woods. Should i find a new supplier? :?

How worried should i be? This probably happens every year around here, but im more aware of it now.

Last edited:
well the already baled hay shouldnt be a problem should it? Im not sure sorry :?

As far as I understand myxi is passed on through biting insects (rabbit fleas and maybe mozzies) if the hay is kept in a secure place, or just away from the wildies there shouldnt be any risk with the hay that has already been baled for months and months

You can put up fly paper and use something like rearguard if there is an increased risk. It's the flies that spread it. I think they hay would be okay, but if you're worried you could always change just for your own piece of mind.

Did one of your buns get their myxi when Holly & Fern got done or was that vhd?

Marley had his yeah :wave:

You can put up fly paper and use something like rearguard if there is an increased risk. It's the flies that spread it. I think they hay would be okay, but if you're worried you could always change just for your own piece of mind.

Im not too worried about it just yet, just wanted to know if its still safe to get my hay from the same place. The hay is stored undercover, but it is all open. There are wildies on the farm and in the fields as ive seen them, and weve almost ran one or 2 over going up the track! :oops: I just know biting insectcs can live in the hay bales, im not 100% sure how it works, but know it is possible to get it though contaminated hay.

Last edited:
Back