• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dumped 2-3 Day Old Kits *HELP PLEASE*-U/D All Died :-(

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Opened my front door to find a plastic recycle box with 7 kits in it. Estimate 2-3 days old.

Only 3 are still alive :cry: All 3 VERY dehydrated :cry: I have no suitable Milk Substitute in but have given all 3 1ml of cooled boiled water.

Will Full Fat Goats Milk with an added probiotic be OK ?

Why the hell do people do this and what will become of the Mother :cry:

Last edited:
Oh cripes!! I've nooo knowledge of babies at all - hope someone comes along soon - where in the UK are you Jane??

The only orphaned buns I have come across were fed with cimicat. Sorry not sure about goats milk. So sorry you and the buns are in this position :cry::cry:

Oh gosh!! That's horrendous!!

The goats milk should be ok, as an emergency, but my breeder friend, K, says that Cimicat is the best for handreared buns. When she had to handrear a litter (in which all but one survived and became healthy adults) she fed them every three hours, without fail.

If you need any help, let me know Jane!! I know how much you have to deal with at the moment.

....another thought....if a bun at a rescue has had a recent litter it MAY be possible to use her as a foster....but without knowing the mummy bun very well, that could be very risky.:?

Going along with the fostering.....for feeding, as it's very risky to put unknown kits in with a mum, where you're unsure whether she'll take to them, you can hold mummy bun on your lap and let the kits feed that way, so she's not left with them at all, but they get her milk.

Try the goats milk now, Jane. :wave:

Why the hell do people do this and what will become of the Mother :cry:

Sadly, I'd suspect the mother has already died or rejected them. :( I doubt they'd have been passed to you (someone obviously knows your bunny expertise) if she were still with them.

I've never had to hand rear so can't help, but I wanted to wish you luck.

I'll try and get hold of some Cimicat, but I can get Goats Milk within the next half hour. I think time is of the essence here. The Kits dont look at all good :cry:

My neighbour saw the person leave the box but thought nothing of it as loads of people leave bags/boxes of newspapers on my doorstep as they know I use shredded paper for litter trays.

Neighbour did not recognise the person, female and aged about 20-25 apparently :?

:evil:

Wonder how she knew.

I think they have the best chance with you though Jane. I hope things work out for them - please dont blame yourself if things go wrong though - i've heard it's a really difficult thing to do.

How awful. I don't know whereabouts you are Jane, I'm in Lancashire, but I would happily go and get supplies and bring them to you if you were anywhere near.

Im afraid at 2 or 3 days old they wont have much chance without natural bunny milk .. :(:(

we use cimicat for hand rearing but weve never managed to hand rear buns under 1 week old . :(

The only time we had a baby under a week old survive was when we put a tiny wildie to a domestic does teats in between her feeding her own litter . this worked wonders..but you dont have a nursing mum ..so thats a useless bit of info realy :(

if all you can get quickly is goats milk then i would go for that ... its got to be better than nothing :(

poor babies :(

The handrearin bloke I knew on another forum used some sort of puppy mix and also kitten mix, mixed in together and started weak and increased it to full mix.

I suspect Jane, whatever you do, they won't survive, so be ready for that, and don't blame yourself.

Ideally, a foster placement would be better. Now might be the time to try and find a reputable breeder who may be able to help.

Back