• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you ever feel like a bad bunny mum?

demikaijuu

Warren Scout
Hey

Sometimes I feel like a bad bunny mum :cry: I just feel like work and everything else is taking me away from George and I get really upset that he doesn't get enough attention or enough time free roaming.

I would love to get him another bun for company but I don't have the room and with not having enough time for one bun I couldn't possibly take on another cause that would be selfish.

Work has been getting really hectic and I'm pulling longer and longer shifts and I feel awful leaving him cause I know he must get bored no matter how many toys he has :cry:

But the thought of giving him up has me in tears cause I really do love him to pieces, but feel selfish keeping him when I feel like I don't have enough time for him.

I can't even let him be an outside bun with lots of roaming space cause my back yard is the size of a postage stamp and covered in Tarmac.

The whole situation is just getting me down cause he's such a lovely wee bun and I just feel like he's missing out cause of me. :(

I do. I think everyone does, to some extent.

I wouldn't recommend rehoming him though - you obviously love him very much and I'm sure you meet his basic needs of diet, housing, safety, medical care etc.

Instead of beating yourself up about it, maybe try to think of ways to improve. Could you make his enclosure bigger, or invent more toys? I used to make a good cardboard box labyrinth for Sorrel, and would rearrange it every day to give her new things to explore. I used to leave the radio on for her too cos she seemed calmer in the presence of voices.

Maybe you will be in a position to take on another bun in future? I don't want to pressure you into it now, if you don't feel it's the right time. But an extra bun isn't a big commitment in terms of time, I feel have two buns actually saves time, as they need less human interaction cos they have each other.

I get that. I get really upset when I have to leave Buckley. I feel like I'm neglecting her if I leave her room. I would have her downstairs but she'd have to be shut away in her cage because of the dog and that would be worse I think.

But it's horrible, every time I go up to see her I have to give her more hay (and she already has plenty) just so that when I leave she doesn't run over to me and beg me to stay :(

the biggest problem with getting another rabbit would be the lack of space when i'm not at home. Georges cage is big enough for him but it would be too small for 2

Sorry i've unloaded this, it's just been getting me down a bit xx

What space have you got to work with and what size cage is he in now?

Could you attach a puppy pen to his cage or, even better, rabbit proof a whole room for him?

I was going to say the same as *lily*. Can you select one room and bunny proof it? Kitchens often work well if you have a big one. Or mine are in my bedroom which is nice cos I'm around them, even though I'm asleep they still enjoy having me around.

i've used a bedroom for matthew and tabby in the past, and at the moment they are in an enclosure taking up quite a bit of the living room (made it with two puppy pens). they free range when i can supervise them.

honestly, your bun will be happier if he has a friend. i bet you don't lick inside his ears, do you? bunnies do that for each other :shock::)

ifn you want hun I could come over and see if i can make recommendations to your set-up and see if you can make space.

Having a bunny companion would probably help but single buns can be just as happy. We all have to work and theres no shame in that. He's still a lot better off than the poors buns who get forgotten at the bottom of the garden. Also remember he probably spends most of the day sleeping - daytime = bunny nap time.

Back