• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Thumping

Loppy2

Warren Scout
Hello

my dwarf lop rabbit Loppy wants to get what he wants when he wants. He wants to be a house bunny. In the night he stomps and keeeps us all await so we bring him in in the morning and hes fine :) X

Helppppp!

thanks x

loppy leo aston james

stan did this at night time under my bed now he gets locked in kitchen at night and i shut the blinds good luck

My dwarf lop boy (who is a house bun) used to keep me awake thumping. It was easily solved - I had him neutered and got him a friend :)

He hasn't thumped once in the two months Daisy has been here. :lol:

If bunny is outside, it may be that there is a fox/cat frightening him?

No there is no fox or cat. we keep an eye on them all the time.
do u no anywhere where they do indoor cages
and he is neauterd and has a friend called Poppy but we blocked the staires off because poppy sometimes get quite dominiate.Loppy (my bun) just takes it as he is to scared to run away from her if you no what i mean.

thankyou xx

Some rabbits will thump as they like a light to be left on for them at night, or they are craving company and quickly learn that thumping brings their human friends to visit them - or bring them food, it can become a learnt behaviour.

It it also possible that he is thumping due to predators or noises/smells that you are unaware of, rabbits have very sensitive noses/ears and hear and smell things that concern them that we are unaware of.

Jenson thumps sometimes too (housebun). I usually get up and check everything is ok and talk to him for a minute. I don't feed him as I don't want him to learn thumping means food! But I do check his water and hay.
Then, if that doesn't work, I put the hall light on for him, I didn't realise that others do this too! :)
He seems to go through phases of doing it, I wonder if there is a fox outside sometimes. Nothing for a while though, until this morning and it was his breakfast time!

I have a foster doe who thumps every time I move her and her partner. From hutch to carrier, thump! From carrier to run, thump! From run to carrier, thump! From carrier to hutch, thump!:lol::lol: Stroppy madam. I have no idea how to help you but I'm afraid bunnies thump!

Back