• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What to clean a bunnies bum with?

shelley

Mama Doe
Hi All,

My new bunny Lola needs her bum cleaned every few days. Ive got some small animal cleaning wipes from p@h but im having trouble with them. It takes ages to clean her if the poo has dried :oops:, is it better to use cotton wool and warm water? Her bun looks a bit red and sore too, should i use some vaseline or some thing to help with the redness?

Yeh, well doing my best. Ive only had her since Monday but she is a rescue bun. Sadly she is massivly obese and is unable to reach her bum. Im feeding her a table spoon of excel adult light pellets and hay but thats all.

She is very large as you can see but hopefully now that she has plenty of room to exercise with us she should start loosing the weight

200qk20.jpg

Aww bless her, hope she starts to lose the weight soon. :)

Do you have any sudocrem? That is one of the best things to soothe the skin with and act as a barrier cream. Clean off with cotton wool and warm water then dry thoroughly then gently apply sudocrem.

Aww bless her, hope she starts to lose the weight soon. :)

Do you have any sudocrem? That is one of the best things to soothe the skin with and act as a barrier cream. Clean off with cotton wool and warm water then dry thoroughly then gently apply sudocrem.

Ah thats great, i have tons on sudocrem! The pet wipes i have are purfumed so it could be that causing her to be sore so i think i'll stop using them! Thanks for the advice :)

Yeh, well doing my best. Ive only had her since Monday but she is a rescue bun. Sadly she is massivly obese and is unable to reach her bum. Im feeding her a table spoon of excel adult light pellets and hay but thats all.

She is very large as you can see but hopefully now that she has plenty of room to exercise with us she should start loosing the weight

200qk20.jpg
:) Excellent. Hopefully once she's slimmed down, she'll be able to help herself. Is she a good hay muncher?

Oddly she not much of an anything eater. She will eat half of her table spoon of pellets in the morning and leave the rest until the evening and she'll eat probably 2-3 small bowls of hay a day. I think bordem must have driven her to eat so much previously as she doesnt eat much here and she's quite active too. She's been in a 2ft hutch with a dog bowl of musili a day for the past 4 years. Also she was alone and wasnt ever taken out of her hutch so i think id be that fat if i had her previous life too :(

It looks quite good for grooming but not sure if it would make her bum sore? That would be a good product for long haired bunnies and guinea's too!

When my Lily has a mucky bum, I sit her in just a little warm water and kind of like Pat the muck off.I then dry carefully.
Sometimes there is no need for a botty bath, just pick it off or use cotton wool and warm water.
It depends on how mucked up the bum is.(My Lily has teeth and spine issues.....)

Its not massive amounts at all, just a few bits around the opening but it is very dried in and i dont want to keep pulling it and hurting her. She shakes alot when its being done so she's frightened alreadly, i just want a method that is quicker really so i dont stress her to much :)

Back