• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter Training - should I change the bedding?

SamanthaJane

Warren Veteran
I've just embarked on the task of litter training. They aren't doing too badly, but they have had a couple of accidents in their bedding over night - I can't be there 24/7 to catch them!

They wee mostly in their tray but like I say a couple of times in their bedding. Should I change this each day? It'll cost a fortune! But I don't want to let them get into bad habits?

Also can anyone recommend a good litter. They are lionlops, 10.5 weeks old so I don't want anything really messy because of their coat. I've got something called 'Sanicat' at the moment. It claims to be ok for rabbits and other small pets, but I just emptied it, and it's SOAKED and looks like it's clumped - but it's silica gel balls so I doubt it's clumped in the way that's bad for bunnies? It claimed to only need changing once a month with a top clean every few days - haha! It's only been 2 days!

I'm really worried about continuing to use it, but I don't want to interrupt their training.

Any help?

Thanks! :D

Edit : Do they technically need bedding? I read somewhere they prefer to lie and sit on the plastic floor of the cage. That would explain why they keep kicking it out of the edge to make bit plastic areas?

Last edited:
what do you use as bedding? if you can, spot clean it whenever you see an accident. Dont worry about poops, you want to focus on wee for now.

I've never heard of sanicat so cant comment on how good it is, but personally I would not use anything that isnt mde of natural materials, and I wouldnt use clumping cat litters as they can cause blockages if the bunny eats it.

I reccommend megazorb. It is by far the best I have tried. Or just newspaper and hay works well, the only reason I dont use it is because my bun digs to get the paper.

You should be changing the litter trays every other day at least, every day preferably in this hot weather (flies about= maggots). Although dont disinfect every time you change and keep back some of the old litter to put on top of the new - this should help keep their scent there so they dont get confused about where to wee.

what do you use as bedding? if you can, spot clean it whenever you see an accident. Dont worry about poops, you want to focus on wee for now.

I've never heard of sanicat so cant comment on how good it is, but personally I would not use anything that isnt mde of natural materials, and I wouldnt use clumping cat litters as they can cause blockages if the bunny eats it.

I reccommend megazorb. It is by far the best I have tried. Or just newspaper and hay works well, the only reason I dont use it is because my bun digs to get the paper.

You should be changing the litter trays every other day at least, every day preferably in this hot weather (flies about= maggots). Although dont disinfect every time you change and keep back some of the old litter to put on top of the new - this should help keep their scent there so they dont get confused about where to wee.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/accessories/rodent__nests/182990

That's the bedding I use at the moment - it's the first time I've tried it but it really sticks in Baileys hair so I want to try something else. Spot cleaning it is difficult because it's so light, they kick it about everywhere, so the soiled bedding ends up all over the cage. Might do a zooplus order tonight although delivery is slow - I want new things for them now! haha. I'll try some megazorb see how that goes.

What about the poos, when will they get better at that?

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/accessories/rodent__nests/182990

That's the bedding I use at the moment - it's the first time I've tried it but it really sticks in Baileys hair so I want to try something else. Spot cleaning it is difficult because it's so light, they kick it about everywhere, so the soiled bedding ends up all over the cage. Might do a zooplus order tonight although delivery is slow - I want new things for them now! haha. I'll try some megazorb see how that goes.

What about the poos, when will they get better at that?

hmmm thinking about it megazorb is probably just as likely to stick in their fur as that stuff, although its easy to brush off. Do they have a litter tray? Have you thought about using blankets for the rest of the space?

they'll get better at poops once theyve chosen a space to wee and are happily using that, but most bunnies will scatter them as a territory marker until they are neutered. After neutering most buns are much better, but even then you'll likely get a few stray poops. There are some bunnies of course that just cant quite grasp litter training. Bear in mind that they are young, and the younger they are the harder it is for them to grasp it, they should improve with age.

Have you tried just newspaper and hay? Might need changing more often but would have no chance of being stuck in the fur. Mine sometimes dig it but not very often.

Thanks guys.

What's a newspaper?! I don't know anyone who reads those anymore lol - I'll pop and buy one and try that.

They have two litter trays - both corner ones, one is bigger though. I think I might get them a square cat one as well just while they're starting out, because they both have to sit in the same one as the same time (naturally!) and with them both in there + hay it's a bit of a squash!

They have pretty much got there with the weeing, they've had free roam downstairs in afternoons since I got them and I think there's only been 3 accidents and one was on the day they arrived. They just aren't particular where they go in their bed and I'd like to avoid cleaning their whole cage 3/4 times a week!

I'll get some megazorb as well, we're still trying out new things! Hopefully there'll be something we all like somewhere!

Yeah rectangle ones are definitely better. :thumb: You might find it cheaper to get some underbed storage boxes. Wilko's do a nice sized one for £3.50.

My last rabbit, Peach, trained herself wonderfully. She picked where she wanted to go and I put a tray there........

It was going fine when I used a normal lap tray, but I changed to a rectangular cat litter tray in an effort to retain the litter (wood based) and hay, and for whatever reason she objected to it. Pulled it out of the corned and weed on the carpet. I was so chuffed. Then I bought her a triangular rabbit tray and she was fine. So it can vary animal to animal.

Am waiting til Clover is spayed before bringing him into the house properly. I do not want him spaying everywhere!

My rabbits try moving their litter tray if it's not weighted with wood litter (i use http://www.petsathome.com/shop/lightweight-non-clumping-wood-pellet-cat-litter-by-pets-at-home-25893) then hay on top.
They hated the corner one :roll: so I bought 2 £1.30 cat litter trays from a bargain pound stretcher type place.
They only go in that area because I have an identical hay tray down in their run and they never ever wee in there!!

that's cheap litter. I will get some of that - they stuff I just had was so expensive and hasn't lastest a week. So total waste of time.

I bought a cat tray yesterday so when I have more litter I'll try that out as well! One of them just pee'd in the tunnel I bought them - oh dear! I'm sure they're getting worse, not better!

Back