• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sampling Hay For Pets

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
My current hay supplier has increased their prices so I am now paying £8 for a 3.5kg bag. I calculated that if I got 9.5kg bags from HFP, I'd save £20 a month. :D

But I'm wondering how I should sample it? Should I buy a 1.5kg bag of each type or get the sample packets, which I've heard aren't very good?

I just had some sample packets from them last week, and they were fine. They are all gone now, otherwise I would take a photo! You only pay for postage on the sample bags. It cost me £3.

My current hay supplier has increased their prices so I am now paying £8 for a 3.5kg bag. I calculated that if I got 9.5kg bags from HFP, I'd save £20 a month. :D

But I'm wondering how I should sample it? Should I buy a 1.5kg bag of each type or get the sample packets, which I've heard aren't very good?

Personally, i'd go for the 1.8 bags. They are actually larger than you think, and give a totally different sample to the 'sample' bags, which are squashed up too much to really compare, in my opinion.

I've just ordered a bag of each to try - thought I might as well blow the budget! Just hope Poppy likes it! :D

She will PL, im sure.

If Biscuit (AKA Mr Fussy) eats it like its running out im sure Poppy will :)

Ginger eats anything, so its not really much of a comparison, but she eats more of this than anything else i've ever tried.

I agree, go for a bag, my bun wasnt impressed with the sample but loves the bag. If they are not fussy hay eaters I'd just go for a larger bag, if they are stick with the 1.8kg. They get so much better for pound per kg as you go up the sizes.

My sample of the soft meadow looked (and apparently tasted) a bit rubbish so I wouldnt go for that one, most peoples buns like the Ings, mine loves the Timothy and Rye, which is very different from normal timothy. I'd go for the Ings for the first bag, or maybe one of each?

we got the sample bags. put them down next to each other to see which one they would go for and it was the Ings every time. I tried mixing them up every which way but I couldn't fool them! Their second favourite was the Timothy and Rye.

Up to you how much you want to spend really. And is there somewhere you could donate the big bags to if they didn't like them?!

I got the big bag of meadow hay. I have pigs, buns and chinchillas and all will eat it (chins are very fussy). One side effect I have noticed is that my buns seem to do more of their poops in their litter tray (and not on the floor). Can't really think why this is! Perhaps they like the smell of the hay more than their old stuff?

I went straight for a big bag of the timothy but asked them to include a sample of ings, which I don't think was the normal sample you get going by what people have said on here as there was quite a lot, it was long strands, and not crushed at all. They didn't charge me for it either which was nice of them :)

maybe worth doing that? Get what you think your buns will like the most but ask for samples of the other two?

Back