• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fetal Giants - help

Mileycyrus

New Kit
My mini lop doe (7 months old) had two stillborn fetal giants this morning. It was her first litter and she had them on the floor of her hutch. How can I stop this from happening again? Any advice would be appreciated. The buck was also a pure bred ( 6 months ) but he is bigger than her. I've been told that high protein diets may cause this??

Not much help with the medical side of things, but you could always not breed her again and then it wont happen again?

Also having a bigger male than female is going to cause bigger kits and result in greater risk to the mother.

But don't breed full stop is best. There are enough unwanted rabbits in the world.

You need to make sure there aren't any kits stuck up there still. If there are and they aren't gotten out pronto, then it puts the mum in serious danger, and she could die. The sooner the better.

If the buck is bigger than her than it doesn't bode well for breeding her again. I'd have them spayed/neutered and bond them. They'd be far happier.

Get her spayed. Get him castrated.

If you don't know what you're doing (and even if you do) you shouldn't be breeding rabbits. Breeding is unnecessary and irresponsible.

Get them both neutered. Bond them.

I hope she's ok. Take her to the vet to make sure she isn't still carrying dead kits.

There are at least two things that you can do to ensure this doesn't happen again (neither of them related to protein in the diet), however, this is something you should have researched prior to breeding. It sounds like your knowledge is not as good as it should be, and for that reason you should not be breeding. If you still want to, then you need to find a responsible breeder local to you and see if they will mentor you.

What Sky-O said :thumb:

You need a lot more knowledge before you enter in to breeding and hopefully with that knowledge you will decide that you shouldn't breed.

Meantime, I would get your doe checked by a vet to ensure that she doesn't have any more kits inside.

I thought you said you were going to get her spayed after her first litter anyway? It would be a bad idea to breed her again.

Don't Breed them :(

As already said there are far to many unwanted bunnies :( and also TOO MANY being pts because of people breeding.

There are at least two things that you can do to ensure this doesn't happen again (neither of them related to protein in the diet), however, this is something you should have researched prior to breeding. It sounds like your knowledge is not as good as it should be, and for that reason you should not be breeding. If you still want to, then you need to find a responsible breeder local to you and see if they will mentor you.

Sky-O again, spot on and very diplomatic!!

Hope the mummy bunny is ok.

:wave:

Back