• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed urgently please!! - U/D 27.04 - Vet Op

Hey everyone,

I'm a bit worried about Penelope, she isn't eating as much as usual, hardly drinking and only eating a bit of hay. She is still pooping, not as many as usual and not the usual colour, but they aren't sloppy or anything.
She is still quite happy, jumping about and being her usual curious self!
The only thing that has changed recently is that I'm in the process of changing her food over (from baby pellets to adult pellets), and I'm trying her out with new hay.
However, should I take her to the vets as she isn't eating/drinking as normal? Have tried to check her over to check she isn't hurt or anything, her tummy felt okay (as much as I could tell not being a vet!), and then she squirmed away!
Or could it be something to do with the heat? (she is an indoor bun)
Any advice asap would be very much appreciated as my mum doesn't think anything is wrong with her so will not take me to the vets, but if there is something wrong I'll just have to persuade my mum more :?

Last edited:
I would take her to the vet. Buses allow you to take one animal with you on a journey so if your mum won't take you, get the bus:)

I would take her to the vet. Buses allow you to take one animal with you on a journey so if your mum won't take you, get the bus:)

My vets isn't on a bus route otherwise I would. Besides, Penelope hates travelling and wouldn't want to stress her by going on a noisy bus.

Have just tried ringing the vets, she's going to call me back as she's with someone. That was 10 minutes ago...

My vets isn't on a bus route otherwise I would. Besides, Penelope hates travelling and wouldn't want to stress her by going on a noisy bus.

Have just tried ringing the vets, she's going to call me back as she's with someone. That was 10 minutes ago...

Patience.......................................................have they rung back yet?

We all hope this is nothing serious. As you say it could be the heat.

Fingers crossed for Penelope. x

Hey,
So took Penelope to the vets about an hour ago. Turns out she hadn't eaten in 12 hours, her tummy was totally empty. She also has some spurs on her back teeth. :cry:
The vet gave her metacam, painkiller and something else (can't remember what!) and I have to syringe feed her critical care every few hours to see if her gut will get moving again. If not I have to take her back in the morning :(
Vet didn't really mention anything about her teeth, about if they have to be filed or anything, as she is quite young to have any problems like this according to her. Also that teeth problems are fairly common in her breed - any other Netherland Dwarf owners notice this?

Anyway - thanks for the advice people gave me, I knew something was wrong, she wasn't acting herself at all today, and I just had a feeling.
Please can we have some eating/pooping vibes please? Don't really want to take her back tomorrow, she hates the vet and I hate having to put her through the stress.
Thanks lovely bun people!
;)

Hey,
So took Penelope to the vets about an hour ago. Turns out she hadn't eaten in 12 hours, her tummy was totally empty. She also has some spurs on her back teeth. :cry:
The vet gave her metacam, painkiller and something else (can't remember what!) and I have to syringe feed her critical care every few hours to see if her gut will get moving again. If not I have to take her back in the morning :(
Vet didn't really mention anything about her teeth, about if they have to be filed or anything, as she is quite young to have any problems like this according to her. Also that teeth problems are fairly common in her breed - any other Netherland Dwarf owners notice this?

Anyway - thanks for the advice people gave me, I knew something was wrong, she wasn't acting herself at all today, and I just had a feeling.
Please can we have some eating/pooping vibes please? Don't really want to take her back tomorrow, she hates the vet and I hate having to put her through the stress.
Thanks lovely bun people!
;)

My little Blackie had many teeth problems, being a pure bred nethie :( Sadly it does happen with any breed which has the flatter face shape.

I hope she picks up quickly, and doesn't need to have a dental just yet.

Mini Lop 1's Mabel is only young (about 6 months) but has already had to have her first dental.

x

Ive had 2 netherland dwarves - rosie and pip and they both had problems with their teeth. Hope your wee one is ok x

Hey,

;)

:wave: Well done for going with your gut feeling. We know our buns better than anyone and a change in behaviour is such a good indicator that somethings wrong. Good luck with the syringe feeding... I'm going thorugh exactly the same process and I'm rubbish at it.

Good luck

Hello everyone,

For anyone still interested, Penelope is back at the vets today. She is having to have an Op on her teeth, as they think that could be the problem.
She was eating and pooping up till late last night, she hasn't been drinking at all though.
So we took her in today, he had a good feel of her tummy - which didn't feel empty, but wasn't normal size. Her chin and paws were a bit damp, which means she's been dribbling. She also wouldn't let him touch under her chin, she jumped away. She did the same thing to me this morning so I knew it was most likely her teeth.
He checked her with the scope, but couldn't see well enough as Penelope didn't want him touching her mouth at all.

In the end, he kept her in and was going to operate and see if they could see anything on her teeth as they can't see with the scope.
He was going to operate at 2pm, but he called at 3pm, and said he didn't as he didn't want to rush it. So he is going to operate first thing in the morning instead.
In the meantime, they are syringe feeding her so she is getting something to eat and giving her painkillers so she isn't in pain while being fed.
She is having to stay overnight so they can monitor her up till 8pm and then again in the morning.
Am not very happy about it as I want her home with me, as I hate the thought of her being all alone at the vets :cry:

Please can you send lots of vibes to Penelope, that the op will go okay, that she'll eat and be okay at the vets. And vibes for me, her very worried and anxious mummy

Thanks xxxxx

Back