• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buzzards again - West Sussex

RosRWAF

Warren Scout
Another warning following the first alert of yesterday.

In response to the recent message about Buzzards. I was in the garden last Sunday with one of my rabbits who was roaming free (safely). She suddenly became very frightened and froze. I desperately was looking around and could not see what was upsetting her. I then heard a vulture-like cry and looked up to see 2 buzzards circling above the garden. They did not seem frightened of me at all, even though I was standing right next to her. I brought her in and only them did the birds disperse. Very worrying.

Sue Aburrow

Ashington, West Sussex .

Scary :shock: will be even more alert than usual.

With regard to the alert I just received, what's a pine marten? :?

My rabbits don't free roam as we have several sparrowhawks nearby and kestrels. Happens when you live next to wide open fields v close to the countryside....:?

I'm glad someone has highlighted this. Last Saturday hubby and I were in the garden and heard some weird bird noise far away, I didn't think much off it until I was washing up and saw something dive bomb pass the kitchen window to where some of the buns were in a run. I can only assume it didn't realise it was meshed and must of hit it with some force as I heard a commotion and there were feathers everywhere. Unfortunately it was so quick I didn't get a quick enough look at the bird to identify it but I'm so glad the buns were safely enclosed. I've no doubt that had they been freeranging even supervised I would not of been as quick as that bird.

Though buzzards are scavengers,they will sometimes swoop at easy prey. I have a family of 6 near me who sit on tree stumps in my field. I have tops on all runs. I would at least put net over where possible but actually be more worried about stats&pine martens. One got my myrtle.

Back