• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit not eating

dbowes

Warren Scout
Hi,

My rabbit Jasper isn't eating this morning, very unlike him. He even did a tiny wee outside his cage and he hasnt done that since he was a little bunny I'm very worried. I think it could be bloat as he doesnt seem to be able to get comfy. I've booked him into the vests but couldn't get an appointment for a couple of hours. Any advice in the meantime? He has never been ill before :(

Do you have a heat source you could give him, a snugglesafe, or hot water bottle wrapped up in a towel?

Try and tempt him with every type of food he normally likes as his favourites, herbs, greens, carrot etc.

What time is your appointment?

When was the last time you KNOW he ate?

It could be many things, such as GI Stasis (Gut slowdown / shut down), Bloat, or an obstruction.

Please ensure your vet gives your bunny some pain relief, normally metacam.

Hopefully he'll be able to help your bunny.

Please keep us informed as to how you get on at the vets please!

Hey thanks,

His appointment is at 10:40. He was fine last night and was jumping around on the sofa to come and see us. He is a very greedy rabbit so him not eating is worrying. Yeah i tried everything. I tempted him with his biscuit treats and even a strawberry which he loves but wasnt interested. He ran away from us a few times when we were hassling him to see if he was ok and he is moving ok, he just looks like he cant get comfy so thats why I was thinking bloat.

I am at work now i had to leave him. How would something warm help? I could maybe go back home but its difficult with already having to leave to go to the vets int a bit but if you think its important i could maybe try and sort something? :(.

P.S He definitely ate last night for his usual meal and also gave him and my other rabbit a carrot to share which they made short work of.

A poorly bun can get a lowered temperature very easily so keeping him warm is important, especially if he is feeling cold around the ears.
If yoi have a syringe you may also want to try syringing him some cooled boiled water to keephim hydrated and to help break down any blockages that might be present.
My bun had this the other day aswell. After these treatments and a vet visit he was right as rain again :) Good luck :wave:

Thanks,

I dont have a syringe, ill speak to the vet about that when i go. I see, well i could perhaps go home but when you talk about keeping him warm, i didnt mention he is a house rabbit and my apartments gets warm anyway. If you still think its worth wrapping a hot water bottle in a towel i could go home and do that but i willbe taking him to the vets in an hour and a half so im tempted to wait until then

Never seen him ill before i cant focus on anything else.

My foster bun has just done this - a lot of it about :(

Please speak to your vet re. pain relief, gut stimulant, something to disperse the gas (ranatidine) if he has that or the start of it, sub cut fluids & syringe feeding to ensure he has something in his tummy. Catching this early & getting the right things into him is vital.

Temperature, fluids, gentle exercise (if not in pain), pain relief.

If he is bonded take his friend to the vets with him to reduce the stress.

Fresh grass (small amount), herbs, dandelions & brambles are all things which often get buns eating again. They worked for Bouncer :)

Good luck. Please let us know how you get on :)

ETA: to clarify on other post - some "gassy" veggies can sometimes cause buns to have gas (like they do with humans) i.e. brocolli, cauli, kale If you have been feeding these I would cut them out for a few days and then only feed them in very small amounts :wave:

Last edited:
Maybe????

Right I hope Jasper is ok but this could be
About food. are you feeding cabbage to Jasper

If so stop cabbage causes diarrhea and and unhungry

And un happy rabbit or fly strike look it up

Hope this helps!!!!!!!

Right I hope Jasper is ok but this could be
About food. are you feeding cabbage to Jasper

If so stop cabbage causes diarrhea and and unhungry

And un happy rabbit or fly strike look it up

Hope this helps!!!!!!!

Please be careful with your wording, i understand you are very young, but making a sweeping statement such as 'stop cabbage causes diarrhea', which is in no way correct, could give the wrong idea.

Each rabbits GI system can be very different from another so they can tolerate different foods etc.

:wave:

Thanks,

I do feed them Broccoli but only in small amounts off and on. I'll cut this out for a while and maybe do more reading on it. I'm quite careful with his diet and fairly clued up on rabbits in general (bonding, diet, welfare, litter training etc) but as mine have never been ill so its an area im weak.

Thanks for all your advice ill mention the points you made to the vet.

If i cant get him eating his normal food ill try the things you suggested!

Thanks again, 1 hour to go!

Thanks,

I do feed them Broccoli but only in small amounts off and on. I'll cut this out for a while and maybe do more reading on it. I'm quite careful with his diet and fairly clued up on rabbits in general (bonding, diet, welfare, litter training etc) but as mine have never been ill so its an area im weak.

Thanks for all your advice ill mention the points you made to the vet.

If i cant get him eating his normal food ill try the things you suggested!

Thanks again, 1 hour to go!

Longest hour of your life eh? I know exactly how you feel.

Broccolli is unfortunately known to cause gas in some buns who can't tolerate it, so it might be worthwhile cutting that out :)

Loads of vibes for Jasper from here !

Thanks i think i will, its not worth it if there is any doubt. They both love it so usually just gave them a little maybe once a week. I don't usually buy it for them, usually for us, but i was a little short on veggies last night for them. It could be coincidence of course.

Thanks for the good vibes. Thats what i like about this forum, everyone understands. Most people don't think rabbits qualify for any worry as "they are just a rabbit" to them which really frustrates me.

Thanks i think i will, its not worth it if there is any doubt. They both love it so usually just gave them a little maybe once a week. I don't usually buy it for them, usually for us, but i was a little short on veggies last night for them. It could be coincidence of course.

Thanks for the good vibes. Thats what i like about this forum, everyone understands. Most people don't think rabbits qualify for any worry as "they are just a rabbit" to them which really frustrates me.

And thats why im here also :)

Hey everyone back from vets

The vet said it was bloat, he could feel straight away. He said the gut was fine but his stomach was bloated. He gave him a painkiller which has perked him up and another injection which helped promote movement again, something to do with contracting the muscles. Anyway he gave him a massage too which may have helped.

He gave me another painkiller for tomorrow and the other injection which i have to give him every 8 hours. He also gave me some syringes and packet food to mix with water to force feed him if necessary and suggested massages so ill do all of that!

He seems happier, probably cos of the pain killer. He only managed a few of his pellets, better than nothing. I gave him a strawberry (his favourite) which he eat! Wasnt interested in a carrot. I'll keep trying different things but if strawberry is all he will eat shall i just keep giving him them? I know normally the sugar content would be bad for him but its more important to get his digestive system working I guess? Anyway whatever he doesnt eat ill subsititue with the packet stuff and syringe.

The vet said to take him back on saturday if he isnt better by then

Thanks again

Dan

So glad hes feeling abit better and has eaten a little :D
Personally I dont think I would feed too much strawberry due to the high sugar content. Id be more inclined to try things like his favourite herbs to tempt him, and then syringe feed if he wont eat anything. Thats just my personal opinion though so do what you think is best :wave:
As it is gas a gentle and prolonged tummy massage can help wonders to break it up and help it move along, so that might be worth a try aswell.
I hope he continues to improve, its so so worrying isnt it? :(
Loads of vibes xxxxxxx

Pleased he seems a little better.

I would try: fresh grass, herbs, dandelion (all of it but not too many) :wave:

hello,

pleased to hear your bunny is okay.

My Iver was exactly the same, took a couple of vets trips and he was fine.

My vet suggested a little pineapple juice for bloat, he said it helped with humans too!! He recommended the amount to give him according to Iver so if you feel that may help then perhaps ask the vet first.

:D

Thanks guys,

Yeah i've been giving him tummy massages and will carry on to do so, he's not overly impressed but doesnt seem to be in any discomfort from it, he just doesnt like to be held so he will have to put up with it for now.

You're right about not giving him too many strawberries, it was just a case of getting him to eat something rather than nothing but since he has eat his normal amount of pellets and a carrot and some hay too so happy with his food intake now. Perhaps the painkillers have fully kicked in.

I will see how he eats later before i decide whether to syringe him with some food or not. I havent seen him drink which is a concern so could syringe him with some water if i dont see him drink soon. I'm happy with his progress, i think i just need to keep an eye on him now.

Thanks again everyone :)

hello,

pleased to hear your bunny is okay.

My Iver was exactly the same, took a couple of vets trips and he was fine.

My vet suggested a little pineapple juice for bloat, he said it helped with humans too!! He recommended the amount to give him according to Iver so if you feel that may help then perhaps ask the vet first.

:D

Thanks ill try that if he is still not right once the painkillers wear off.

Thanks guys,

Yeah i've been giving him tummy massages and will carry on to do so, he's not overly impressed but doesnt seem to be in any discomfort from it, he just doesnt like to be held so he will have to put up with it for now.

You're right about not giving him too many strawberries, it was just a case of getting him to eat something rather than nothing but since he has eat his normal amount of pellets and a carrot and some hay too so happy with his food intake now. Perhaps the painkillers have fully kicked in.

I will see how he eats later before i decide whether to syringe him with some food or not. I havent seen him drink which is a concern so could syringe him with some water if i dont see him drink soon. I'm happy with his progress, i think i just need to keep an eye on him now.

Thanks again everyone :)

I would say that if he's eaten a normal amount of pellets & he's pooping ok you don't need to syringe feed him (this can be stressful & could undo the progress made).

Fingers crossed he continues to do well. Sounds like you got there early before he was really poorly :D:wave:

Back