• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Reasons for a bun being underweight?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
Can anyone give me some conditions to check on at the vets. Liver function test has been done so far and that came back fine.Blaze has dental issues. He has had his incisors out and gets spurs but they are sorted all the time.

What else can cause severe weight loss? Thanks x

EC made Vin lose a massive amount of weight in a short period of time, and Oidhche lost a kilo with her heart and stasis problems. Dental issues are another one.

What is his diet, exact amounts ?

Is he a single Rabbit-ie any competition for food ? Dental Rabbits eat more slowly so often require separate feeding from non-Dental companions

Does he have 'Snuffles' secondary to his Dental Disease ? Weightloss can be the first presenting symptom of an imminent episode of 'active' Snuffles.

Does he drink alot ?

What is his past medical history apart from Dental Disease ?

When Sue lost a lot of weight it was due to kidney problems (she only has half a kidney working). It took a while to be diagnosed though but was eventually picked up by X-ray.

When Sue lost a lot of weight it was due to kidney problems (she only has half a kidney working). It took a while to be diagnosed though but was eventually picked up by X-ray.

Same here, but both dental issues and kidneys and possible other unknown's due to genetic messes.

Holding a stable weight has been a lot of hard work, but we're stable right now (*prays he did not just tempt fate*)

Kidney problems/EC/dental here. The kidney problems were picked up by blood tests in 2 buns as was the EC in 1.

I've just started Muesli, who is my thinnest bun, on a little Oxbow junior, in addition to his usual pellets, to see if that will help at all.

Kidney problems and EC made my Inca very skinny :(
She is only now starting to put on a bit of decent weight after more than a year.

Wouldn't there be other symtoms with EC?

If she has tested for kidney problems, then could they have not been picked up on the test?

He is a dental bun yes with no incisors.

He eats a bowl of pellets a day- a brown bowl that says rabbit on, and unlimited hay, and a small amount of veggies, but he doesn't handle veg well.

I've got wagg optimum pellets as science selective are not putting weight on although he eats them fine. He is with another dental bun except he only has spur problems.

Wagg pellets are also smaller, so hopefully weight will change. He is really really weak. Not drinking excess water or any unusual changes. The thing i did notice is that since i've moved them outdoors, they are extremely unclean- don't use the litter boxes like all my other buns- i find wee puddles on the lino.

I'll let the vet know this when i take him, what could this be?

Thanks for all the help getting to the bottom of this. Also he has been underweight before and regained it.

He doesn't have snuffles, but that could be a possibility yes, although i haven't picked up on any other symtoms with him.

If a malignancy what do i need to ask the vets?

thanks xxxx

Back