• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering to stop humping behavior

AndreaS83

New Kit
About 2 months ago I adopted an eight year old male rabbit from a local rescue to be a companion for my bunny Blue (6 months ago I had lost my rabbit Tango to cancer).

Blue went with me to the shelter to meet the new bunny (I named him Barney) and they got along wonderfully. I adopted Barney and we took him home. For about 2 weeks they were great together, but then Barney started humping Blue constantly. I separated them and took Barney to get neutered (he was intact when I adopted him).

It has been about a month since the neuter and Barney will still try to hump Blue. Right now they are still living apart as Blue developed an abscess and needs quiet time. I know it can take awhile for the hormones to get out of Barney's system.

I wanted to know if anyone had experience with neutering an older rabbit. Barney is ~8 yrs. old, will he eventually stop the excessive humping behavior or should I expect him to always behave this way since he was neutered at an older age?

The hormones don't die down for about 6-8 weeks.
Is blue neutered too? Best chance of a bond is if both bunnys are neutered

No Blue is intact. He was sickly when he was younger and the vets recommended that I not neuter at that time and now that he is older they don't see a point in putting him through the surgery.

Tango and Blue were inseparable and Tango was intact for the first year they lived together. I had to neuter him because he sprayed.

You can but wait and try again I'm afraid. My Barney was 2/3 when he was neutered and he would still do the circling and honking and grunting as usual around me for 2 months after before it died down, and he still does it a couple of times a week. It had become a learned behaviour. He never humped though so not sure if that can become learned.

No Blue is intact. He was sickly when he was younger and the vets recommended that I not neuter at that time and now that he is older they don't see a point in putting him through the surgery.

Tango and Blue were inseparable and Tango was intact for the first year they lived together. I had to neuter him because he sprayed.

Hormones can take around 6 weeks to die down so there is still hope. Most people would recommend a male and female pair as these tend to be the easiest bonds. However, there are people on here with male pairs and I have had one myself.

Personally I would suggest getting Blue neutered. Did your vet give a medical reason for not neutering or is it because of his age? How old is Blue?

Back