• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do I do about my cat?

nibblerandco

Young Bun
When I have my setup they will be separated naturally but until then I have a bunny room and the rest is cat space. One of my cats is super curious about the bunny and would never hurt him. I am more worried the other way since my rabbit is much bigger than the cat. I've been quite lax about the cat being in here with me but when he is passing the bunny's little fence, I grab him. I don't want him kicked or anything.

I must admit I don't know anything about how rabbits react to cats.

How concerned should I be? Does anyone else have cats also?

Hi :wave:

Many people here have cats and rabbits, and I did too. (My cat passed away a few years ago). I never had any problems. But have read on here the risk is if your cat scratches one of your bunnies as it can be fatal.

Best is to always supervise. Trying to remember but don't recollect any bunnies attacking a cat. They may follow a cat around and generally annoy them.

I have cats & buns.
The buns ignore the cats but the neighbour's free ranging bun takes a pro active approach & chases all the cats in the neighbourhood if they get to close.
As a result all the cats around here seem to have a healthy respect for buns & try to keep their distance.

I more see in my head how the rabbit grabs the cat n kicks him with his strong legs.

I need to learn more. I mean I love my Nibbler, but I have a past as a rabbit phobic so I really need to sort of relearn their natural behavior. When I was a kid I was a sort of rabbit magnet, little bunnies tracked me down and bit me. So I guess those horror stories got kind of etched into my mind.

Now I'm sitting here with the cat on one side of the fence being curious about the Nibbler and want to go in and say hello, and the Nibbler stomping his mega stomps and the cat bouncing every time he does. I keep them under close view though.

Yes, it is possible for a rabbit to attack a cat, particular unneutered rabbits that can be very defensive of their territory. I think I remember one owner on her who's cat needed stitches after a bunny attack. You have to be careful too, although a cat might not start a fight, it could accidentally injure a bun who went for it.

It's difficult to say how two individuals would react though, some cats and rabbits are fine, some cats avoid to getting to close etc. so a fight with a serious injury is possible but unlikely if your closely supervising.

Now the 1st rabbit is in an outside cage and the new bunny is inside because because some "family drama" I hadn't made her cage yet before picking her up. So bunny number 2 is inside now and one of the cats I don't trust around ANY other animals than my 1st cat, but the other cat is soft and curious so I let him in here. He is looking at her and she looks back at him. He jumps into her pen and I'm ready to rescue whomever needs the rescuing. Comes out she thinks my cat is really cool. She sniffs him and is like Oh hi. The cat thinks she is fun but a little scary. If she makes a move (and it is sure not to attack him) he jumps out of the pen.

Of course I keep a close eye on them but it is fun to see them because they seem to instantly understand each other. Which I didn't expect.

That cat is sort of child like and innocent. He rolls around in her hay, and if I let this slide they will probably cuddle up together.

I have five indoor cats and four indoor rabbits.

Cooper has attacked Bambi my cat in the past, but that was before he got neutered. Now hes neutered and him and Bambi lie down beside eachother on the chair. I always surpervise my cats with my rabbits, my other four cats aren't bothered about my rabbits, Bambi loves them and is fasinated with them.

i have always had cats and housebunnies together. Each one has a different relationship with each cat.

bluebells getting better with the cats..slowly...but i can tell you with all the cats ive had...if anybunny chased them even for no reason other than they werent in a good mood....the cats would leg it and hide.

my salem kitty died last summer..his pseudo mummy...my rescue girlie bun bif..died a fortnight later....salem thought of her as mum..she saw him as her charge. bertie however had an amazing close relationship with salem. bertie misses him and their cuddles they had every single day...:(

merlin our lionhead cross thinks hes a cat now.....its a madhouse!

keep an eye...reward the cats for being good..same with buns.....try not to make too much fuss when your telling them off tho.

keep a teeny water pistol nearby..a squirt at front paws is a good bet...or just up in the air confuses all of them and they forget any arguement etc:lol:

be aware...bunnies can take on cat personas from being that close....the same for cats taking on bunny personas.....its true.....:love:

Quite weird really. When I had the 1st bunny he was in a pen inside. I just didn't have the material yet to build him something for outside. He seemed happy there except I had to have the door to the room closed. He is a super cuddly bunny and even more now, he likes people and is social. But seeing the cats, you could see he getting all grumpy and I could not risk cats around him because he is so so much heavier than the cats plus he looks like he has really strong hind legs.

Then he got his pen on the balcony and before I could make the pen there for the 2nd bunny, she got the old pen inside that he had before. She was not used to people at all. She hated me and didn't want me anywhere near her. But she loved my nice cat. He loves grass and hay so he jumped in there to take a straw. And it went more than well. They were super nice to each other, and more and more I realized this wasn't just temporary, they liked each other.

Even the other cat whom I can find a bit unstable around other animals, he was super nice to her as well. That surprised me a lot. He didn't jump in and stay there but he looked from outside and he had no aggressions whatsoever and if he once jumped in, he kept a close look and if she was too close he jumped out again, he didn't really look fearful, just cautious.

Then Miren had her babies and I thought at least now she will be protective and easily stressed so I better keep the cats away. The cat she likes was allowed in the same room but was not allowed jumping into her pen. When the kits were 3 days old he couldn't take it anymore but jumped in and I was there at once ready to grab him so the female wouldn't get stressed.

At once I noticed she wasn't stressed, she was actually calmed by his presence! He could even sniff the babies and she basically waited for him to take care of them! Which of course he could not do because he is a cat after all. He was perfectly safe around the kits and did not interfere when they needed to be nursed and cleaned.

Now she has her own pen on the balcony. The cats don't get to go out on the balcony because it is on the 2nd floor, the bunnies could not jump the rail but the cats sure can. I feel I deprived the cat and the bunny their friendship now. But I never thought a rabbit and a cat could be that good friends. I mean, she trusts him 1000 times more than she trusts me, even if she has become better around people.
:bunny:

I have 9 indoor cats (soon to be 10 when Phantom is brought indoors) and 3 indoor buns and the buns are very curious about the cats and the cats are a bit wary. Funny since the cats are predators, it should be the other way around! :lol:

It might be a good idea to keep the cats claws trimmed since just a tiny scratch from a scared or playful cat could get infected.

They always have their claws trimmed anyway for the reason they love to massage me when they get cuddled. If the clwas are sharp it can be a quite painful experience.... :)

Back