• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Herman's chin appears to have burst!

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
Just been giving Herman his meds, and noticed that he has a large hole in the lump on his chin where the vet took the sample to test for cancer and/or bacteria.

There was a very small amount of pus where the sample scab must've come off, but there is nothing at all in the cavity except air, just pink tissue around the 'walls'.

I've packed it with manuka honey (UMF 25+) for tonight and have given him metacam and baytril (he was on both already), and I'm going to call the vets tomorrow morning. Is there anything else I can do in the meantime?

Eeeeeew, yuck !!

I think you have covered all bases for tonight. Hope he will continue to cope OK and at least he is bright within himself xx

Aww, poor Herman. I hope he is ok tomorrow. I've seen the elders manuka honey can accomplish. Gran had awful bedsores and they were only healed when the nurses started using it. Should get some on hand just in case!

Sending vibes - poor bun, but I've seen manuka honey work miracles on Toadstool's huge absecsses, and packing them with the stuff was what did it :wave:

Sending Herman lots of vibes and hope he is ok tomorrow. never heard of using honey on bunnies or human hmmmmmm

At the risk of sounding ignorant..... What's manuka honey? Where do you get it from? What does it do? I know pooh bear always felt better after a little honey..........
I hope Herman is feeling better soon. :love:

Poor Herman, you've done the right thing though and Manuka honey is brilliant stuff, hope he is OK

No advice but lots of vibes for Herman. Poor soul.

At the risk of sounding ignorant..... What's manuka honey? Where do you get it from? What does it do? I know pooh bear always felt better after a little honey..........
I hope Herman is feeling better soon. :love:

It's honey made by bees from the manuka plant, I can't remember if it's a bush or a tree. It's meant to be antibacterial, used on wounds etc and used in animals because it's safe for them to ingest. I have bought it in asda before. :wave:

Thanks for the vibes guys :wave:

Herman went to the vets this morning, and the vet confirmed what I'd thought...that the infection is only around the top of the wound where the scab was, and the rest is just a large hole left over from his previous problem :?

I've got to pick the scab off twice a day and wash the hole out with dilute iodine and then fill with honey. We've also changed his antibiotic to depocillin. He's taking all this treatment in his stride...he really is a little trooper :love:

I think Herman must be one of those 'reject' bunnies who get one ailment after another...so keep you fingers crossed that it'll heal up without any more problems.

Hope Herman gets well soon.

I have used Manuka on loads of cuts, grazes, abscesses etc and it is simply fab :)
I even use it on my Inca's lady bits and it has worked wonders.

Oh bless him, poor Herman :( Hope he'll be ok with his new meds & the honey Amy :) I swear by manuka honey!! It's fab stuff :D

Back