• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sam now has kidney failure on top of heart failure!

bunny mad lisa

Mama Doe
my dearest bunny sam is a happy bun despite everything. Some of you will remember that he was diagnoised with heart failure just a day after losing my sweet dear bunny Teddy to kidney failure. Well just 6 weeks later and he now has kidney failure too. This is a huge problem as the directics he takes for his heart will make his kidneys worse so his future is bleak:cry:
He's such a sweet boy and so friendly, it just breaks my heart to think of losing him but I am trying to be positive and will make the most of the time he has left and do everything possible to keep him comfortable.

sleep8.jpg

Oh no, I'm so very sorry what terrible news. He looks adorable. Fingers crossed that he fights on.x

He's lucky to have you looking out for him. He looks comfy in your photo!! I hope he has a long time left.

He is beautiful! So sorry he has so many problems. I know how heart wrenching it is when a much loved bunny is ill. Sending lots of healing vibes to the gorgeous boy Sam. Im sure he knows he is loved and taken care of.

Is he on Fortekor aswell as a diuretic ?
yes he is on both and yesterday we gave him anabolic steroid. He is quite well in himself just his appetite has gone off and he has lost weight over the past few weeks. His heart actually sounds much better so the treatment has helped his heart but not his kidneys!

thanks everyone...its just so hard after nursing teddy for 5 months knowing i would lose him then to start again. The worst thing is Sam is the most lovable bunny as was teddy and both very special to me and to have this news for both of them has just left me heartbroken. Life just feels so unfair sometimes:(

Just seen this I am so very sorry Lisa I could cry for you as you have not long lost your lovely Teddy bun, I just don't know what to say :(

Sam is such a beautiful boy and I'm sending him lots of vibes xxx
and Hugs for you xxxxxx

Thinking about you both.

I am sorry to hear this :( Sending lots of vibes for Sam. He is lovely in that photo. Bless him. Hope he has some happy days ahead of him yet. x

I'm so sorry you are going through this with Sam so soon after losing Teddy. You're right, it just isn't fair :cry:

Lots of vibes for you both, I hope you can enjoy the time you have left together xx

Sorry, we have similar problems with some of the old cats. Fluffy is in heart failure and is hyperthyroid, which means she has a high chance of going into renal failure too.

For his renal failure pehaps talk to you vet about vitamin injections, our cat have anabolic steroids and vitamin injections, the theory is that they lose vitamins because they pee more so they need to be topped up. This was the old way of treating renal failure before fortekor etc was used.

I'm so sorry Lisa to hear this about Sam, so soon after losing Teddy :cry: Life is just too cruel at times :cry: He's a beautiful boy - he reminds me of Noah :love: I hope he can remain comfortable for some time yet xxxx

thanks everyone! Sam has had a good week and i think the steroids helped his appetite a little. He is happy in himself and has ben enjoying the garden over the weekend and eaten all the grass!! he's back for a check up on tuesday as we cut down the diruetics to help his kidneys and need to see if has effected his heart..his breathing is o.k so i'm hoping we can cut it down some more.

Back