• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Spay behavior

Hi everyone!
I just adopted my two beautiful :love:grey lops from a rescue about a month ago. The shelter later contacted me to tell me that they needed the myxo jabs and that Millie wasn't spayed.:(
Ollie was already neutered though!!!:D
Well I had them vaccinated a while ago and yesterday Millie went in for her op. I've kept them inside in a cage together so I could moniter her more closely and so she would be warm. I wasn't to woried as yesterday she had a small amount of hay and some apple, but she still hasn't eaten any pellets or anything else. Should I just carry on trying to treat her, What else can I give her???
Also Is it okay for her to go on the grass for a bit today?
Thanyou!!
From C, Millie and Ollie:wave:

Hello and welcome :wave:

Has your rabbit had pain relief? Usually Metacam.

It is common for it to take a few days for a bun to get back to normal eating etc after a spay but it is imperative that they do continue to eat and drink and if they are in pain they will not - so this is the first step, to make sure she is comfortable.

Offer small portions of tasty treats, rocket, spring greens, grated carrot (in small quantities), Basil, Mint, Lemon Balm, Dandilion Leaves, Apple Tree Leaves are all popular and can be washed and fed still damp to keep fluids up.

Pellets are usually last to be taken up again in my experience.

You could cut some long grass with scissors to feed but I'm not sure I'd put her on the lawn today, others may say differently, I don't know.

If she hasn't been given pain releif to have at home and she is not getting back to normal them you really need to address this with your vets.

How are her wee's and poo's?

Well the vet said she was all dosed up and wouldn't need any medication to take home so no.
She's been pooing fine, but they are slightly smaller then usual and I think she's weeing (hard to tell with Ollie there.)
I managed to get her to drink earlier.:D
She's been lying down which I expected and Ollie's been really sweet grooming her.
Thanks for the advice!!!

Vets often say that but there is nothing they can give that will last more than 24 hours so if your bun is not eating, not getting around as she should I'd call and insist on her having some. Ask the vet if he or she would like to go home after a major abdominal operation without so much as a paracetamol!

Keep tempting her with food. I make little dishes of say shredded greens topped with a little grated carrot or rocket mixed with some grated apple. You can offer some Critical Care recovery food, which your vet can supply, you mix it to a paste and some will take it from a dish or you can syringe it in to the mouth if they are not eating.

I managed to get her to eat some apple and she was munching on a little hay earlier. I think she just needs time.
She has been moving around a little more then this morning which is really good.
I'll try to get some critical care and maybe some painkillers for her.
Thankyou so much
:wave:

If she's eaing hay and fresh food I wouldn't worry to much just yet re syringe feeding. I've had 11 bunny neutered/spayed and none of them touched their pellets in the first 24-48hrs but as long as something is going in and coming out thats fine.

Your vets probably gave her a long lasting painkiller which I think lasts about 24hrs but it would be wise to ask you vet for some oral meds to top her up with as for the girls its a bit more invasive and it can help keep them comfortable, Also given that its a bank holiday weekend and you may have trouble getting hold of them later on if she does need them.

Thankyou for all your advice!!!!! She ate a couple of mouthfulls of pellets so she should be on the road to recovery!!She also was sitting up and bouncing around a bit more.:D She's back at the vets tomorrow just for a quick check of the wound!!
Thankyou:wave:

I had my smartie done soon okay he is male so obviously op is not as major, but same thing with the pain relief, vet gave him pain relief for 24 hours and i was told unless he stops eating and drinking he should be fine x

Thankyou so much for all your help. Millie has started drinking from her water bottle again and is eating her pellets! She felt much better after the medication and the vet said her wound is healing really well!:wave:

That's good.

What "medicaton"? Did the vet give her some more painkillers?

We may have forgotten to say but for future reference poorly rabbits or those recovering from surgery find drinking from a bowl much easier so its best to have one available to them - also the addition of a drop of apple juice can encourage them to drink ;)

It can take a couple of weeks for the gut to get back to normal so do keep a close eye on her.

Back